Friday 11 January 2013

Friday 11th January 2013

On the 12th of January 2009 I was ‘let go’ by the box company I had been working for. At the time, to be turned down for what was a job only paying the minimum wage seemed to be the final straw. Although it was never going to be the final straw. But at the same time neither Jools or myself saw it as my dream job, just something to do until another, better job came long. I suppose that is what the box company thought, and why I was not kept on.

Thankfully, those dark days seem so very long ago. Hearing my old friend, Dick, getting a job, even if was for BA in Saudi, it meant that I felt I was being left behind. But, things did get better, if took a couple of months, but I found this job.

What it did do was make me go through the whole unemployment system, feeling like a piece of worthless crap as each two weeks you had to justify that you tried to find work hard enough to justify your dole. In practice it wasn’t that bad, but then that is exactly what happened. To show how tiny-minded the system was, I found this job, and was due to start on a Monday, but I was due to go through a morning of lectures to help me improve my job-finding chances. That I had a job already meant that this was a waste of my time, and a waste of their time and money. But I was told that if I did not attend my money would be stopped and I would lose three days dole money. Gain a day in which to do ‘stuff’ or go to the course.

I stayed home and lost three days money and gained a sense of satisfaction. But it does show how tightly rules have to be applied and that there is no room for common sense. Oh well.

So, after another tough day at the coalface, during which I was told:

1. I was not going to be site assistant on the project in Belgium (a waste of my skills)
2. Was told, in not so many words, that I was getting promoted.

Now, I have a feel it’s one of those modern promotions with more responsibilities and less money, but that I might have minions to order around and do my bidding is an odd one. How did it come to this? Anyway, that is in the future, maybe the second half of the year. Before then there is much to do (no, really). I have trips planned to Barrow in Furness, Denmark (for a change) and later to Sweden. And that’s just work!

In our spare time, i.e. weekends there are many things to see and do; beer festivals, steam on The Underground, more churches, pubs and all that fun stuff. So, I am enjoying these days when I still go into the office in Ramsgate, which is nice, especially to be home by five and have the whole evening with Jools and the cats. But things do change, and it means getting out to new places, places which I can then photograph. Perfect.

Anyway, there I was preparing dinner last night; nothing complicated; scotch eggs, coleslaw and lots of Piccalilli, which is just perfect. In fact how did I reach the age of 47 without eating Piccalilli? We’re both making up for lost time. Anyway, the phone rings, and it’s the doctor’s receptionist. I have to make an appointment, as my blood tests are in, and my allergy levels are high. Well, I wish I could say I was surprised, but six months of flu and colds, or the symptoms of them says that, clearly something was up.

So, anyway, I had an appointment to see the quack on Monday to see what can be done. Until then I’ll keep taking the drugs!

Watching two hours of astronomy on TV last night might have been a little much, especially as there was three more hours over the two previous nights; I can say, space is brilliant, time is brilliant, space-time is brilliant and this is just what we pay our TV licence for! Anyway, it was brilliant. And the brilliant Dr Brian Cox was on it, and he was brilliant.

And so to the weekend and all what it may bring. Huzzah!

No comments: