Sunday 27 January 2013

Sunday 27th January 2013

Thursday promised to be something of an unusual day in Denmark in that we were expected to see sunshine. Now, sunshine in Denmark, in the depth of winter is something unusual.

After breakfast I went out to the car, scraped the ice of the screen, and headed off to the office on the other side of town. And as i worked away, the sky cleared and the sun came out, and it looked glorious outside. I thought no more of it and just enjoyed seeing the vibrant colours of what I could see of the countryside.

As we gathered to leave off at half four, the Danes amongst us and remarked that their smart phones predicted night temperatures of minus twenty degrees. Now, minus twenty is an altogether different level of cold that I am used to.

I guess I should say, that that I don't believe it got much below minus 11, but that is still very cold indeed. And I thought there would be nothing better than just staying in the hotel and eating burger in the restaurant, as dull and uninteresting as that might seem.

But, Jesper and the rest thought we should head into town and sit down together, drink beer and eat meat.

So, at half six we met in reception, and after donning an extra couple of layers, we walked out into the winter wonderland. And heading into town meant walking down the steep set of steps beside the hotel, which was tricky as no one had cleared any steps. Some of us coped better, my old boss had his sensible work shoes on, with no tread on them, and he hung on grimly as we walked down to street level. In truth, I did little better as I was worried a fall onto my glass back would do it no good.

So, we got down, and walked through the deserted centre of town, and found our way to 'Meat and Wine' or Mog od Vin or something. Another buffet place, and another meat-only buffet.

We were shown into a separate area from where nice families and couples were alrteady eating; maybe our reputation preceded us? So, we all got beers and went to fill our plates. And repeated until we were all full. That we did not get refills until we had to go and chase the waiter and ask meant I hope got no tip, but the project manager was paying, so it was his call.

After eating, we went back outside, I felt bloated and the last thing I wanted was more beer and schnapps in Barry's. So, all bar Jesper and Bavo bailed and headed back to the hotel, and glad I was too to get back inside and sit beside the radiator and thaw my feet and hands out.

There is something oddly beautiful the way smoke rises on a bitterly cold but windless morning. I looked outside, and the wizzard's power station was pumping purple smoke out, and the column went right over the hotel; in the sky, a pale pink colour could be seen. It looked mighty cold out there.

I had breakfast, packed and then paid my bill. Out at the car the windscreen was covered in a thick layer of ice, which could not be scraped. I started the car and turned the blowers on. It made no difference to the screen. I scraped some more and cleared a small hole in the ice, which I could see enough to drive. I'm sure the police had they seen me might have had different views. But, I had a rozzer-free trip.

The display read minus ten, but once the car warmed up, it read minus five, then four. Which meant that I did not put much store in what it said, but it was cold enough.

I had to drive down to Esbjerg to have a meeting, so i headed back down to motorway, then took a right turn and in doing so crossed the country to a port the other side. This is where we are going to build our lovely new turbines, and then load them onto a ship, so there is some panic (ha) as worktime approaches.

As I neared the coast, there was some lovely freezing fog to add to the cold weather mix; it made the landscape look beautiful, and trees were covered in an inch thick coating of hoar frost.

I made it to the meeting, and we talked and discussed issues with the upcoming panic, sorry, work. Imagine our surprise when we were told that the others who worked in the warehouse told us we would have to vacate the building at one as they were going to have a long weekend. No really.

So, i said goodbye, got back in my car and set off for Billund, arriving at the airport just in time for my flight some four hours before my flight was due. I had burger and fries along with a huge beer as I waited. And once through security I had another beer as I read the Stephen Fry's book.

The flight left on time, and all of Europe was soon laid out below me as the beers took effect and I fell asleep as the meal was being served. We lumped and bumped our way back onto the ground at London City. And then it was back into a London rush hour to get to Stratford in order to catch the train back to Dover. Everyone was wrapped up like they were about to make the final push towards the South Pole, I had just a t shirt and my thin fleece on, and that undone.

And like that, the week was over and now the weekend lay ahead. Hoorah.

No comments: