Monday 4 November 2013

Monday 4th November 2013

We got up once dawn had, er dawned, and after a cuppa decided we should make the most of the morning and head to Dungeness to soak up the sunshine that we were blessed with.

We headed out along the Alkham valley towards Folkestone and then up the motorway to the Hythe turn. It must be the best part of a year since we were last at Dungeness, and so I thought we should take the long scenic coast road through Hythe, Romney and Dymchurch. It is always so pleasant, especially first thing in the morning when traffic is light.

Anyway, before leaving home Jools asked if I wanted breakfast: no, not hungry I said. So it comes as no surprise that in very little time I was hungry. Nothing in Romney that did breakfast, but we passed a sign on the road to Lidd that advertised breakfast. Could I resist the fry up and go for something healthy?

In a word: no.

I ordered the middle sized breakfast and a cuppa whilst Jools had toast. She had already had cereal that morning so did not need lard! But, it was very nice indeed, and soon we were heading over the shingle, past the two nuclear power stations an onto the Dungeness estate. We park up and head out into the bright sunshine and stiff breeze. Man, I needed to put on a thicker coat, I was almost chilly. Still, once walking over the shinge I soon warm up.

Tracks to the sea

We walk along some old trolley tracks and look along the high water line as the waves lap along the beach. Thousands of gulls rise and fall dodging the lazy waves. There is nothing really unpleasant about just standing there taking in the scene: the warm sun in our face, the breeze at our back, fishing boats going about their business and the gulls and other seabirds dipping and diving.

The Crossing

After a while we head back to the car and set off, in the end travelling back along the coast road to Hythe and then back up the motorway to Folkestone. I try to photograph a church at Hawkinge, only to find it now a private house, but nice enough. We go back home for lunch and a relaxing afternoon. I listen to the radio and Jools beads.

Dungeness

The afternoon passes.

I cook steak and ale pie for dinner, and after that we watch a program on the Staffordshire Horde, and in doing so the last hour of the weekend slips by and it is time for bed. Outside the rain hammers down again and a solitary soggy badger helps itself to the food on the bird table.

And that is it until the weekend as I am off to Denmark tomorrow for some team building. *shudders*

2 comments:

nztony said...

I thoroughly approve of your scenic route to Dungeness although doesn't the sea wall block lots of nice sea views on the drive down?

And I agree with your trepidation regarding "team building" - I'm afraid I'm a huge skeptic.

jelltex said...

The route is scenic, and the sea wall lasts really from Dymchurch to Romney, or only half the way.

Most of the time it passes over marshes and over the old military canal. And passes a couple of nice churches.

And the narrow gauge railway can be seen a a few points too, which is always a bonus.

The team building wasn't as bad as it could have been.......