Tuesday 9 June 2015

Tuesday 9th June 2015

Monday

You know, despite it being June and summer and all that, at times its not been too warm. Even with the sun shining all day like it did Monday, one the sun moved round in the afternoon and the back of the house fell into shade, it go chilly. I mean, really.

Working from home and all the stuff that entails. Jools goes to work, leaving me with the cats, but they sleep. Breakfast and coffee. Mid-morning cuppa and a slice of toast. Lunchtime omelette. Working from home seems to mean I am always hungry, and there being so much food around. Sigh.

I get confirmation that I am needed to travel at the end of the week. Somewhere new for me, but for now I will keep it secret, except to says its wonderful, wonderful.....

I make bread in the afternoon: leaving out the cayanne pepper for once, as we are to have it with Insalata Caprese, so I kneed it, leave it to rise on the windowsill of the kitchen wondow where with the sun on it, it was lovely and warm. An hour later and the sun had moved round, shadow now hung over the dough, and it had failed to rise. So, emergency action, warm the over and have it on minimum heat, and leave it for an hour. And there we had lovely puffy rolls ready to be baked.

Whilst in the kitchen, I notice a couple of birds eating the seeds of the knapweed a few feet from the back door: I see they are Goldfinches, so after thinking they would fly away if I went for my camera; some ten minutes later they are still there, and so I rattle off 50 shots and get a couple of OK shots.

Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis

Jools comes home, and the bread is cool enough to eat, I cut the tomatoes, slice the cheese and we are ready to go once the plates have been drizzled with oil. It may look like summer outside, but the breeze has got up, so we put the heating on(!) and decide not to go out for a walk.

It is the last week of Springwatch, always a joy, but the three weeks of it this seem seem a little much, but then there is so much joy in watching nature, even in an urban river, let along wild otters in the Shetlands.

No comments: