Thursday 2 July 2015

Thursday 2nd July 2015

Wednesday.

I will now review some of the stuff I have done in the last 8 months in the course of my job. I am doing this because as you may have noticed, I am now on 18 days off.

Back at the end of October, I managed to squeeze three days off, during which I sneaked off up to Norwich for the annual beer festival. I said at the time, I was doing this as I would have precious little time off before the summer. How right I was. But I did not realise how dark and long some of those days would be. When I say dark, I mean the requirement for travel and stays in quiet, out of season hotels, was considerable.

It began with at least three straight weeks in Denmark, witnessing the start of the tower production. The tower of a wind turbine, is important, obviously, but probably the main component you think of less when compared to the nacelle, blades or the electrical gubbins inside. So anyway. I flew over to Denmark on a Sunday, something I would sadly get very used to, and was at the factory early the next morning for the start of the project.

I say start of the project, because for most of us, up to that point, it had all been hypothetical, and all on paper, this was welded steel sections. Basic, very basic engineering. And so, over the next three week, the sections were welded together, and one by one the towers began to take shape, one after another. Then we switched to a couple of audits, both in Germany: both suppliers of major components. I flew to Witten first, staying at a very efficiant but quiet hotel overlooking a main railway line. The only downside was that it was dark so early, I mostly heard the freight trains rattling through. Another flight to Stuttgart, a short drive to Kirchheim, where I stayed at a glorious boutique hotel, disguised as a Beirkeller. That was rather wonderful.

After Christmas, back to see the towers again, then a supplier of another electrical component. And into February, things got really crazy. Production of baldes in Denmark begain, a week there. Then another week at the nacelle factory as production started there. Back to the blade factory, then to the blade factory in Germany for a week. And then back to the same place again for a couple of days.

After that, well, here there and everywhere. Production was going on everywhere, then work began in Esbjerg to get ready for installation. Into May and the frst loadout of eight turbines was made ready. I was back in Germany, then to Denmark doing a round of three inspections a week. Then at the start of May, all production had been completed, work was under control in Esbjerg, but then we had to get the office ready in Holland for installationa and testing. So, trips to Holland, with trips back to Denmark inbetween. The month rattled past.

Into June and to my surprise, just as work should have been slacking off, I am put onto another project, two short trips to Copenhagen followed. Inbetween I go back to Holland, just for some variety.

And here we are, the beginning of July. I have been at home for some 9 days now, I have not had two weeks at home, apart from the Christmas break, since October. Maybe longer, but I don't want to power up the work's laptop to check. Anyway, 18 days off, well deserved I believe. The 43 turbines are working, supplying wiggly amps powering tens of thousands of cloggy homes. As I said to Jools, I can point to the windfarm and say, I helped do that, and it will last until after I am gone. Probably.

Wednesday.

And to the hottest July in England for a decade. And I was trapped inside, undertaking meeting after meeting. It was cloudier than the day before, and so did not look warmer, but it was much hotter. The cats only nibbled their breakfast before finding cool spots to see the days out from. I was stuck inside, so made a fresh coffee and got on with it. I ploughed on, breaks in meetings meant fresh pots of coffee. Jeez it was so hot.

But by half four, I was done: I set my out of office message, and switched the computer off. If only that was it, but somehow I had allowed myself to chair a meeting on the first morning of my holiday. So, just one more meeting it was then. I went outside, the heat seemed fierce, but with the sun now behind the house, the back garden was in shadow, and a cool breeze blew. Or it seemed cooler than the sunshine. When she came home, Jools assured me it was a hot wind. Maybe it was.

I went into the furnace we called the kitchen. I boiled some cubed potatoes for chorizo hash. Then, chop up the onions, peppers, fry them up, chop up the chorizo, fry that, then the potatoes until they were crispy. Combine them all, pour a chocolate and coffee beer, and all was done. That hit the spot.

Back outside to watch the sun set, or at leas the sky turn colour. In the east, a huge orange full moon rose over the houses on the other side of the valley. It looked amazing.

No comments: