Sunday 29 May 2016

Saturday 28th May 2016

When, I hear you ask, is the orchid season ever going to an end.

Or that is the questions I imagines readers of this blog who may not be orchid-centric as me. Well, the last orchid of the season usually appears at the end of July and can last to the end of September. Before then, there are many more species to be seen and snapped.

So, if you are getting fed up, then I am sorry. But then I am getting out, walking through ancient woodlands, up and down, er, downs, and along cliffs all in search of orchids. If not, I maybee watching football, so are orchids the lesser of the football evil? Heck, I don't know.

Anyway, with there being a family summit planned in the morning at our gaff, I was told that Jools was doing that and then "bimbling", I should go out. Or something like it anyway. I didn't need to be told twice.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia I do go to Sainsbury's at seven for beer and bacon; the best of both worlds, and two of the major food groups of course. And after cooking bacon butties, I pack my camera stuff and leave just as Cath and Mike arrive. Where in the world, or Kent, should I go?

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia Well, first of all, I think it is time I checked back on the Monkeys at PGD, so, with a tank full of gas, and hope in my heart, I drive down Alkham Valley thus avoiding the tattooed fuckwits of the EDL who have now decided that each and every bank holiday they should all down to Dover to protest. So, the town centre is to be avoided. Anyway, a quick blast along the M20 to the next junction, then up the valley to Elham before turning off, and to my surprise, I am the only one there.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia PGD is still a little disappointing at first, seems overgrown with no orchids showing, at first glance at least; however, after a while I began to see the purples and pinks showing where there were orchids. And further in the wonderful Monkey was more numerous, but less than in previous years perhaps.

I go round checking each spike and snapping the best. Then go around a while later once the sun breaks through.

Further on still, I look for Musk, Fly, Lady and GBO. I find them all other than GBO, whose spikes I cannot find, yet having seen several earlier in the week. That I can see a Fly spike from 10m shows I am not totally losing my eye.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera It is with this result, that I decide to go the Denge to check on the Butterfly orchids there, and there is always the chance of seeing a Duke as well. And a few Kentish Lady too, or course.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera At the car park, I meet with Jim and Dawn, first time we have met since last year's season. We hug and swap stories and news on orchid sites. Then they are off to a new site, and I begin the long walk to the Bank.

In the sunshine, the Ladys are even more sensational than before, but there only so many shots you can take of them. I am looking for Butterfly, and soon find three open spikes near to each other, so snap them. And at the end of the site, a Duke lands right in front of me, so I cannot refuse this chance, and get within 6 inches of the wee fella, and get fine shots, despite this being one of Britain's rarest butterflies.

Greater Butterfly Orchid Platanthera chlorantha I walk round the bottom of the site, find another var. alba Lady, which is always good, before walking back to the car before driving to the next site, via a pub.

Greater Butterfly Orchid Platanthera chlorantha I have always wanted to visit the Black Robin, and with it being near the orchid site, and being off the beaten track, I take a pint of Hopdeamon and a packet of crisps into the beer garden to enjoy and take in what was a fine day. So far.

I drive to the parking spot, then climb the hill once more, but this time the LBO, or Lesser Butterfly on my mind.

Duke of Burgundy Hamearis lucina Now, I was pretty sure where they were from last year. I look for half an hour, before realising I was 100m from the right place, then with some looking I find one, then a second partially open spike. Great news.

Over the road the Lady are not much further on, so it seems it will be a poor year for them in this woodland setting, but the Fly are now getting towards their peak. And as usual the Common Twayblade are in astounding numbers.

One final call is for some White Helleborines and Birds Nest. It is a quiet little known site, and just inside the wood I see the Birds Nest spikes showing well, and one with open flowers.

I could have gone onto the look for Bee and Lizard, but I have had enough, and at nearly three, I need some lunch, so go home via the quiet lanes through Barfrestone, Shepherdswell, Coldred and Whitfield, thus missing any traffic holdups caused by the demonstrations in DOver, and probably taking three times the time it would have otherwise have taken.

I make lunch for us both, review my shots, write a blog post, edit some shots, and it is seven already, and there is some big football to watch; the CL final, Athletico v Real, which, as it turned out wasn't a good game, but absorbing. But it goes to extra time and then pentalties before Real snatch it.

It is half past ten, and time for bed.

No comments: