Wednesday 4 May 2016

Thursday 5th May 2016

Wednesday

One of the downsides with holidays is taking the cats to the cattery. Heck, being wthout them at all is worse. But to have to round them up, stuff them in a box and take them to the cattery in Denton is heartbreaking, as they all meow mournfully.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes The plan was for me to take Jools into town at half six so a colleague could take her to work, and I come back, mess around until nine, round up the cats and take them to Denton. Simple.

Only, cats know.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes They know there is something up, they pick up on signals from us that things are different and get spooked, run away and don't come back for hours. At least that is what happened this morning.

After dropping Jools off, I drive to Samphire where it is orchid heaven, with spikes everywhere, even in the middle of the overflow car park. In fact that is probably the best place on the whole Hoe for them. I take many shots, including many of the colour variations I see. I meet another snapper, and we talk about orchids and stuff before I see the clock ticking and realise I have to deal with the cats.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I got Scully and put her in the bathroom. When I came back Mulder was in the back room, so I locked him in, leaving just Molly with freedom. Only we spooked her earlier, in trying to corral her into the porch, and she ran.

So, I waited. And waited, until it has half past the time I should have been at Denton, and it was agreed to try again in the afternoon.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes So, I let the mogs out, and go to run some chores. I have to have a hair cut, or think I do, and there won't be a queue on a Wednesday would there? Yes there would. So I wait 40 minutes before getting in the chair, and brrrrrr, all it comes off, looking neat and much cooler.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes From there I go into town to get some wrapping paper, more of which you might hear of in Japan. And then I am free. So, Fly orchids I think.

I drive over to Yockletts to hunt for the elusive Fly.

There is heavy port traffic, but I whizz through at over the speed limit if I am honest, but then turning up Stone Street and 20 minutes later I am creeping down overgrown lanes, littered with flints to the tiny layby and I hope orchids.

It is a glorious day and the air is thick with butterlfies; peacocks, orange tips and brimstones, but all those are not my quarry, that is saved for a particular orchid. I look in all the usual places, up and down I walk, slowly looking either side of the path. I see spikes, some nearly out, one about to burst. I walk back, disheartened, but there is one path I have never walked. So up I go, beside the road, twisting through the trees and out into a meadow where there are Lady Orchids, and one is partially open.

Lady Orchid Orchis purpurea I walk on until I come to the bluebells, and still no Fly.

I turn back, and am disappointed, but then, out of the corner of my eye I see a tiny flash of crimson: a Fly. It is barely open, but beside the path, so I get down and depsite the dark conditions in the undergrowth, I get two or three OK shots. I am happy now, and can go home.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera I walk back to the car, then drive back to Stone Street and then to the petrol station to fill up and to grab an ice cream, where I find there is a thing called a Peanut Butter Magnum, and it is wonderful. I drive back through the port traffic, not quite school run time, back home to to begin the great cat round up. Part 2.

And there are no cats anywhere to be seen. So I mess around in the garden, look at the shots I had taken, and Molly and Scully come in, warily, but all is good. I give them some food, but the 5 o'clock date at Denton looks doubtful.

Just before I had to go for Jools, Mulder comes bouncing in, so he gets locked in the porch, Scully in a cat box, and Molly hides under the washing machine.

I fetch Jools, meeting her at The Rack of Ale, then we come home, round up Molly and MUlder, and then Jools takes them away while I make chorizo hash. It has been a very long day, and it is eight by the time we are done, and have more packing to do, wrapping of gifts and then a shower. Phew.

No comments: