Sunday 4 June 2023

Saturday 3rd June 2023

Cup Final Day.

And Word in the Park day.

For the third year, the podcast I subscribe to was hosting an event in Holland Park. I got my front row tickets months back, and had planned to meet up with friends I have made in the group.

And then I became away of the rail strike that was called for all days of the 3rd.

Just as I cpnvinced myself that no going was the sensible course of action, the producer, Magic Alex, messaged me to see if I was going and if so, would I mind taking some shots?

In no way swayed by the fact the lead singer of Altered Images, Clare Grogan, would be attending.

Oh no.

OK, I will go.

And then, my back went.

I would see how I felt on Saturday morning, but a route via Abbey Wood and the Elizabeth Line was worked out, it seemed it could be done, just relied on my back.

I got up Saturday, and the pain was less, so was looking good. But I would "road test" it round Tesco before deciding.

I was halfway round when the pain came back, the muscles tightened, so I shuffled back to the car to wait for Jools, plans in tatters.

I messaged Alex to let him know I wouldn't be going, then consoled myself with the thought I would sit on the sofa watching the cup final instead.

Most things have an upside.

However, it is many years since we had Cup Final Grandstand and Cup Final Question of Sport beofre live coverage of the teams travelling to Wembley via coach, inspecting the pitch, and before kick off, showing the "humourous" banners in the crowd.

One hundred and fifty four At least the clouds cleared at last, and the sun shone, though it was still windy, maybe too windy for butterflies. But sunshine was good.

Instead, I would switch on coverage at five to three, watch the game listening to the radio, and switch off once the game had finished.

After lunch of leftovers and beer, I settled down for the game, Utd v Citeh, with Citeh going for the League and Cup double.

Not a bad game, all in all, Citeh eased to a 2-1 win, and as expected, I turned off the telly box. And that was that.

My back eased some during the day, thanks to applying pressure and ice packs to the affected area.

Maybe tomorrow would be better?

No comments: