Tuesday 6 July 2010

Tuesday 6th July 2010

I can tell you what I was doing five years ago today. exactly what I was doing, I was coming back from Scotland after spending five days up there with Mother dearest, and it was time to head back south to Suffolk. And as we drove down the A1 through south Yorkshire, the announcement came over the radio that London, and not Paris had been given the right to hold the 2012 Olympics. I remember the yelp of joy, and the thought of all those stunned French in Paris, silenced by the news.

I also remember that less than 24 hours, as I prepared for the holiday of a lifetime, news came that at first there had been a power surge on the underground, and then confirmation that several deluded Yorkshire Muslims had blown themselves and many innocent people, up on various underground trains and double deck buses, and the world changed a little bit more.

Here's what I wrote about both days; brief and to the point:

Wednesday July 6


We had been worried about heading home, as it was the first day of the G8 summit, and much disruption was predicted in Scotland. In the end, we had more trouble in getting past Loch Lomond, as the Scottish Open was due to begin the next day, and fans were queuing to see the last day of practice. We were only held up 10 minutes of so, and in the traffic, we got wonderful views across the Loch, to the heather covered hills beyond, all purple and green in the bright sunshine.
The rest of the trip was fine, really. Traffic was light, weather fine, and we made good progress. Just south of Leeds, we heard that London was to host the 2012 Olympic Games. We cheered, and laughed at the cries of anguish of the French, as they were sure they were going to win. We stopped off for a meal at a roadside place, rather than have to cook when we got back. The last three hours of the trip, across the fens of Lincolnshire were a nightmare. Rain poured down, and an almost solid convoy of truck meant that we made slow time. So, it was a relief to get to Kings Lynn, and then Norwich as we neared home.


Thursday July 7



I had so much planned for today. I thought I would start with a lazy breakfast, and then sort out clothes and documents for the trip. I had just finished breakfast at about ten, when the radio says there had been some power outages on the London Underground, and all services had been suspended. I turned on the BBC news channel, and it soon became clear that something far worse had happened. News also came that a bus had exploded, and the full horror of the situation became obvious. I sat for hours dumbstruck at the images on the screen, how can people do this to one another? Nothing else seemed to matter. Nothing got done that day.

I have nothing against Muslims, I dislike all religions, most who believe they have their god on their side feel inclined be be shitty to those who do not share their beliefs.

Two days after the bombings I flew out to America for a nine week holiday and the final step in my divorce from the RAF. Yes, nine week holiday. even now it sounds great.

Today, I did drop my oppo in the shite, as he had done to me several times, and so I had no qualms about doing it back. That'll teach home to not do his jobs before he goes on holiday; maybe.

And I recovered my first monies for the project from another part of the company, and all in all was generally well organised and all that. A good day, really. And now an evening of world Cup football, lets hope the orange win, and cheats do not prosper!

No comments: