Friday 22 February 2013

Friday 22nd February 2013

Monday 18th February 2013.

And welcome back to Denmark. On the flight over, there was very little to see other than a complete blanket of cloud from East London all the way to Billund. I ate nothing on the flight, and dozed and tried to read Peter Hook’s book about Joy Division. I opened my eyes to see the Danish countryside come into view as we broke cloud at about 250 feet as we were on final approach. We bounced on one wheel, and then two before touching down one final time and full reverse thrust was applied and we came to a quick stop.

06:24 from Dover Priory to Charing Cross

I was sitting in the very back seat of the small plane, 28th out of 28, and I knew I was going to have to wait to get off, but it was so funny to see the suited men scramble for their bags and then wait in the aisle for the door to open so they could get to the reclaim a minute or two before the rest of us.

LCY

I sauntered off the plane, collected my bag and then climbed the steps into the terminal and walked along the long corridor to immigration and then to reclaim. My bag was waiting, and it was the last one there too.

I had a wait at the car hire place, but was rewarded with a Toyota Avensis estate or something, with room enough for four more people and their bags. And then the hour or so drive to Billund at the old Scandic hotel.

It seems that with each visit the rooms are ever more Spartan, with the minibar and drawers now having been removed, at least from this room. And as is the Danish way, no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, so once unpacked I head to reception to grab a coffee and a chocolate bar, just to tide me over until dinner time.

Work is impossible, as my new phone won’t connect to the mail server, and the VPN won’t work on my laptop, so I make do with listening to a radio show from last week. Outside, it is half five, dusk is falling and what counts as rush hour is well under way.

Last night we watched the final part of the Dark Knight trilogy: it has been very good, and the quality didn’t really drop. Christian Bale was excellent as Batman, and Michael Caine was very good as Michael Caine, Batman’s butler. He really has just the one acting style and it has served him well for nearly 50 years, so why change, I guess?

Although I should be thankful I have a job, and a job which lets me travel up to London on a high speed train, and then fly over the North Sea to Denmark to stay for four nights in a hotel. I mean it sounds great. And is, really. But business travel does get repetitive, and you just want the flight to start/land/get your bags/get the car/get to the hotel. Anyway, as I have said before, it is better than stuffing giblets or being on SLAG at the west gate or wherever the RAF wanted me to work.

Not as good as a det to Vegas, though.

Obviously.

Denmark is wearing it’s winter clothes, overcast skies, with light light just before dusk for most of the day, but it is not cold. Not THAT cold, just about freezing, and it is not fully dark yet; the year is moving on. In fact, whilst pruning the raspberry canes yesterday, I did see green shots of growth just showing above the ground, the daffodils are nearly in bud too, and birds are checking out the boxes next door. To an extent that Mulder has taken to sitting on the roof trying to catch the birds as they fly in and out. No luck with that as yet, thankfully.

And now for some breaking bathroom news:

The frame is up, but there is a sign saying ‘do not use door’ which makes taking a shower tricky. Terry has promised that tomorrow this job will be done. We shall see….

Tuesday.

t should not come that much of a surprise to learn that things at work are going to change. Again. It is part of modern life after all. So, we were all called into the canteen here in Randers this morning for the official announcement that this building is to close later in the year. By this building, I mean our old HQ in Randers, and for me it will mean not travelling here any more, instead going to Arhus. For those that work here, it might mean a longer commute, or for those who live in Arhus, a much shorter one.

Rise and shine, campers!

We all sat down in the canteen and listened, filed out and returned an hour later for another presentation on the changes and those affecting other parts of the company. Due to commercial confidentiality, not much of any substance was actually said, questions were asked and mostly avoided. It happens and is par for the course.

Other than that, all is well. It is getting light when I head out of the hotel in the mornings, and it looked quite wonderful with a light dusting of snow too. Back home the great bathroom wait should just about be over, but I won’t know until much later when I speak to Jools after her Yoga class. As it is, I have a shower in my room at the hotel and plan to make use of it every day. Heck, twice a day.

And as I finished this mail, news came that the impossible has happened, in that the bathroom is finished, and the plumber would not be returning. Just have to wait 24 hours before the shower can be used. Which means it will all be back to normal for my return to blighty on Friday.

Yay.

Wednesday

The meeting had been arranged for weeks; invites sent out and accepted. Three of us had travelled from England, others had dropped very hectic schedules to be there, the people from Esbjerg just had to turn up in the right office. They were late and so the rest of us had to wait, then they announced, they had another course to be on and tried to blame us for arranging the meeting and accepting their acceptances.

All work and no play makes Jelltex a dull boy


I am staying tin Randers, and the training had to take place in Esbjerg; a three hour drive, with my old boss with nothing to talk about just work. And me having the chance to scare the bejesus out of him with my motorway madness. And then at the end of the day we get to drive all the way back home to our barren hotel rooms and dreadful food. Yes, I sent the food back tonight, Danish meatballs; which I asked should these really be cold. The plate was taken away and a replacement provided. I was told the sauce was going to be spicy. Bah. Spicy my arse. Anyway, we’re back in the hotel, I’m watching Barca v AC in the CL on free to air TV; living the dream.

Friday

And here we are, Friday again. Only I’m in Esbjerg, after a two hour blast down the motorway for four hours of meetings before I then head to the airport and back to Blighty.

Welcome to Esbjerg

Outside it is cold, damn cold with a chill breeze. I am sitting in a group of temporary offices which will be my base, on and off, for the next two years: if all goes well. As you can imagine, there are plenty of last minute hitches and snags to sort out, and then when work does begin next week, I am heading north to Bonnie Scotland to do an audit, so we have to be sure all is well by the time I leave today so when the stuff hits the fan, as it will, we will be prepared.

Hire car

Maybe its being so near Germany that makes Danish drivers so impatient: who knows, but there are some right nutters on the road, and most see the outside lane as theirs and theirs alone. Same the world over I guess. But, I did leave with plenty of time to get down here so I could stick to the speed limits and almost enjoy the drive. Oh, and I am probably allergic to the car, which sounds about right, but I have a heck of a time breathing when I drive it for any length of time. Just as well I’m not allergic to our Polo I suppose.

Hejnsvig Kirke, Denmark

Last night I met up with my old RAF buddy, Shaggy, as it will be the last time I visit Randers for some time, maybe even ever as it is to close in the summer. I won’t miss the hotel much, but I have got to know the staff and they do do well.

So, the weekend ahead, more painting, but should be time for photography, and then a road trip to begin the week.

It’s all happening

1 comment:

nztony said...

At least you can visit The Museum, Psychiatric Hospital, Arhus when you move from Randers to Arhus, I believe it is a very interesting museum. I thought that as you are "Outside of the Asylum" you may find it a fun outing?