Friday 8 March 2013

Friday 8th March 2013

Monday 4th March

And here we are back in Denmark. Flying over from England we were treated to some splendid views over Essex and as we travelled up the Dutch coast. But as we crossed to Denmark, clouds rolled in, oddly, the cloud extended all the way to the coast, as I could see miles and miles of beaches. As we got lower, the ground revealed itself to be mostly brown, but at least snow-free.

It is a modern wonder, that I can leave Dover on the 06:44 train to London, catch the 09:45 flight to Billund and be in the office in Esbjerg before one in the afternoon. It is really very painless, especially now as I don’t have to go to Randers and have the 77 mile drive, it’s just half an hour down to Esbjerg, and in the spring sunshine, it really was quite pleasant today.

Dover Priory, 06:31 Monday morning

Yesterday ended up being a quiet day spent inside, as Jools helped a friend move house, and so I did chores round the house and caught up on my reading. I think with the back to back trips to Denmark and Whitehaven and now back to Denmark again, it was nice just to sit at home and chill. Not that it seems to be very taxing what I do, but, well, it feels like I have been on the move for weeks.

Statford International 07:52

Other than that, all is well: it did feel like the weekend just slipped through my fingers again, but I got lots of photography done, and had free beer, which is my favourite price after all. All that is left to do tonight is to find my hotel and get myself fed.

Olympic Park

On final approach into Billund yesterday, we flew over the Danish air base at Vandel. I know this because we were detached there from Laarbruch in 1993. It was an experience, a 14 hour bus trip to Vandel, living in tents, eating compo, washing via a lazy boy, and lots of very cheap beer in the evening. Every evening. Somehow we were allowed to have duty free beer, which made it about the price of water, or so it seemed, so we got very drunk each night. (there was little else to do) Oh and eat squeezy cheese out of a can from the PX. Cheese in a can: we truly live in modern times.

Scandic Esbjerg

So, we had great fun, three weeks of pretending to prep bombs, deliver them to the squadrons and return the empties. We drank a lot of tea, ate a lot of compo and played lots of cards. I remember one night, trying to find the result of Norwich’s first ever European game. I was standing in a field with my Walkman, and radio 5, or maybe it was still Radio 2 back then, but it came through long enough for me to hear about City’s 3-0 victory.

Welcome to Esbjerg

Each day began with a ‘stand to’ which was odd because we stood too laying down in a trench. We had a baby (i.e. new) officer in charge of the det, and she could not get the hang of the time difference between zulu (GMT) and Danish summer time. So we stood to at 03:45 one morning. OC Eng had a word, more than one word. Stand toos took place at seven after that.

Red dogs

One final me memory was of when we left and the pilots decided to put on a show. We were told to stand on the revetments beside the waterfront which was the main route round base. The four Jags from IV screamed down at full speed; one at 50 feet, next one lower, next lower still. Until OC IV came down and was so low we were looking down on his aircraft. The trees the other side of the road swayed like waves on a stormy sea thanks to the jet wash.

Them were the days.

And the other notable thing was on our only day off we went to Legoland. Which is just outside the base. And we went in, looked round and drank £7 beers. I hope to go back in the spring.

Mist rising

Tuesday 5th March

So, last night after work, and it being light, after checking in I went for a walk into town to take a few snaps. It is nice to get out of the hotel, even though I had just arrived. Anyway, I walked the main street, and back round until I came to the Irish bar: should I go in? I did. And I had a pint of Kilkenny. And another. And another.

Paddy Go Easy, Esbjerg

My head was swimming, and not helped by the lunatic I had attracted in the bar who by the time I ran out was trying to tell me that gravity was conspiracy. Or something. And Germans invented UFOs. Or had them.

Blades and towers

Or something.

I got back to the hotel and went to get something to eat. I also had another beer. One bowl of onion soup and a Scandic burger later and I was done. I went to my room to listen to the radio via the computer. I thought I might lay in bed.

I woke up again at midnight, turned to computer and lights off.

And this morning was another bright and sunny day. And turbine components have been arriving: half tower sections and complete blades. Moving them were trucks like something from the best Tonka toy ever. I really have to get some shots. But it is a bit dodgy to do that right now, maybe when things settle down. The blades are immense, wider than a wing on a 747. Just amazing to see being driven on the back of a lorry; but the biggest extendable lorry you have ever seen in your life.

I was inside a tower section today, more than wide enough to stand up in; in fact it was over 3m wide. We are now getting them ready for the first load out to be installed and they are stacked waiting to go. Look incredible.

Wedensday morning, Esbjerg

So, another day turns to late afternoon and thoughts go to heading back to the hotel and maybe a snooze before the evening. Maybe.

Wednesday 6th March

There was another spectacular sunrise as I drove to work this morning. As I head in, the sun rose blood red from behind the wind turbines spinning near the harbour. But soon after the blanket of grey cloud spread over and Denmark was back to its usual drab greyness. What it does mean is that being in the office all day is not quite so painless as there are no pictures to be had. And anyway, both sets of batteries for the compact camera I have brought with me are just about flat.

The work begins......

So, last night after work I drove back to the hotel, got into my room and put the laptop back on. I listened to some radio, finished the Joy Division book and began the Charlie Brooker one. I went down for dinner, found I could not resist the burger and had just one beer. I left some and decided that as the game was on TV, I would stay in my room, save money and my liver.

Man Utd played Real, and it was a great game, and seeing Nani get sent off and Fergie explode was worth it. A great game ruined by the referee sending a player off for just trying to get the ball. Still, there’s always next year, big nose.

I met the customer’s representative today: he’s their quality expert, and full of questions, and there’s me not sure what to say and everyone in the office is at lunch. Bugger. I got through it thanks to coffee and waffle. Coffee from the machine and waffle from my mouth, and was then able to pass him on to someone else and I could relax. Making it sound all too real for me, I prefer dealing with procedures and the such.

So, tonight: do I stay in or head to Celtic get hammered on TV in the Irish bar? Hmmmmmm.

Thursday 7th March Wednesday night and instead of heading to the Irish Bar I went down to the restaurant and had burger and fries again. I eat mostly fruit during the day so I don’t feel that guilty about it, as I don’t have a starter now and just the one beer. The atmosphere in the restaurant is like that of a wake, and I really should get out and find somewhere else next week, especially after debacle that was dinner on Thursday, but more of that in a minute.

Thursday the wind did blow and no work was done out on site, blades and towers remained on trucks and it looks like they will do until Monday at least. The huge flat, gravelled area we have to work on, is like a desert, and when the wind blows, dust devils dance across the area stinging the eyes of those who go out with safety glasses. Clearly this is no one as such glasses are mandatory.

After a long day in the office, I went back home and started the Charlie Brooker book. Not bad, all about TV, and he hates TV, it insults our intelligence, but most just carry on watching. I only watched one or two of the shows he writes about, those I have not seen sound dreadful, but then I despise reality TV shows. Three years of TV reviews is a bit much, if I’m honest as there are so few shows he actually likes, or were any good. So, it will be good to get something new to read next week; The Foxy book! More on that next week.

Friday 8th March

As I came in this morning, the first nacelle is waiting on the road outside the site, it looks like a two story house on a truck, and this will be hoisted 80m in the air to sit on the towers. When you think about it, the technical challenge of putting a turbine up in the sea are huge, and a challenge, but something we will do, hopefully, well.

So, back home tonight arriving in Dover at about half nine. Just in time for bed. Next week should be my first trip out here for a while, hopefully until after Easter So, it will be great just to relax at home of an evening. But, back here next week for more turbine related malarkey.

Deepest, deep joy.

No comments: