Sunday 24 March 2013

Sunday 24th March 2013

Good afternoon.

This afternoon some 28 years ago, at the end of my first week of work at turning chicken wings, I, along with 45,000 other City fans, and an equal number of Mackems headed to Wembley to see the League Cup Final, then called The Milk Cup. It was an odd time for football, hooliganism and violence reached the very depths with riots at Chelsea, Luton, Birmingham and ending up with the deaths of 39 Italians in Brussels at the European Cup Final.

I went to London with Dad on a coach, oddly enough I can't remember much about the day. Getting into London was pretty much trouble all the way after leaving the still new M25. All I can remember is seeing Sunderland fans everywhere, and all of them drinking beer.



Anyway, lets look forward not back.

So, Friday morning. Now, I am aware that I do complain about my job, I think its a way we have with dealing things. I have had worse jobs, much worse jobs than what I do now. Even with that, I was glad to awake on Friday morning, secure that I was going home that afternoon and would stay home for at least a couple of weeks.

And once again it was bright but bitterly cold, but I packed with a light heart, put cases in the car and checked out after having breakfast. Work, well, was work, I got through it and completed all tasks i could and sent mails explaining why some tasks had not been. And at two it was time to leave.

In truth I left early, as I wanted to visit another church. I checked the maps and Grindsted was going to be the lucky building. So, the snow had just about melted from the car, but even as I left more white stuff fell from the sky, and i really hope that this is the last day of 'winter' I spend in Denmark and by April 8th spring will have arrived.

It is funny, that even with a church tower as high as Grindsted, it was hard enough to find, I circled the town and kind of homed in on it. It looked fine against the blue sky, as it was whitewashed. Sadly, the church was locked, so I made do with snapping it from the churchyard and heading to the airport.

Grindsted Kirke, Denmark

After dropping the car off, I went to the restaurant in the arrival hall for burger and fries as I usually do. I do this as I never get access to the Business Class lounge. I am fed up despite being told I should be able to get in standing at the counter and the woman behind looking at my ticket in disgust and saying 'no, you can't come in.'

So, full up of burger and fries, I checked my bags in and saw I had a two bag allowance, and asked if I could go into the lounge, and she gave me a voucher. So, I did get to go in the lounge, but I was not hungry, so made do with a coffee and the free wi-fi and a piece of chocolate cake.

I boarded the plane, which took off on time, only to be kept in a stack for an hour which meant I did not catch an earlier train from Stratford, and so had over an hour to kill. But, I did catch the twenty past eight train, and was home by half nine and dropped the bags on the floor and went into the kitchen to put the kettle on.

No comments: