Thursday 28 March 2013

Thursday 28th March 2013

One thing I did forget to mention in yesterday’s post was the exciting new feature added to our new bathroom; a walk-in paddling pool. We have this since the radiator decided to spring a leak. No major damage, in fact the new floor covering kept the water where it dripped, whereas the old carpet would have let it all fall to the utility room below bringing the ceiling down at the same time.

So, a close escape.

But, we need a new radiator now, as well as a new water tank, so more expense! Our new plumber came round yesterday to measure it all up and will let us know of costs. Sigh.

Yesterday, I got a mail from a friend letting me know that Tornado would be heading through Dover later that day, so as Jools had the car, first task was to see if my friend Gary would like to come and pick me up and take me down to be able to snap it. Thankfully he said yes, and it was arranged that he would collect me at half three.

60163, "Tornado", The Cathedral Express, Dover, Kent

Even better than a quiet drive to Ramsgate on Monday morning was the chance to work from home on Tuesday. I do get work done when I work from home, but it does leave me at the beck and call of our small army (of three) cats.

Anyway, whilst discussing things in general with the plumber, he told me about a huge cliff fall in St Margaret’s Bay, and so another plan began to form; maybe Gary would like to see that after Tornado?

60163 "Tornado", The Cathedral Express, Dover, Kent

So, after a day at the workface slaving over a hot keyboard, Gary called to collect me, and we headed down to the dock to our chosen location for the shoot. We were both wrapped up like we were going to walk to the arctic circle rather than stand on a bridge for half an hour, but needs must.

About 5 minutes late, Tornado emerged from Harbour Tunnel and made its way under the A20 bridge, and as she began to negotiate the sharp bend in front of us, the driver let the regulator open and smoke began to emerge and she began to make a very satisfying chuff chuff noise. So, I snapped away. I snapped away with just the one camera, as after putting the battery for the 400D on to charge, I had left it in the kitchen as we came out for the shoot.

Silly me.

Once the train had disappeared from sight, we made our way back to the car and up to St Margaret’s and then down to the Bay to see the cliff fall. And what a shock, it was massive; a vast chunk of cliff had collapsed sending a finger of chalk blocks 150m into the bay, just missing Ian Flemming’s old house.

Cliff Fall, St Margaret's Bay, March 26th 2013

Gary and I clambered onto the beach and over two groynes to where the fall covered the beach, snapping as we went. Very satisfying. We snapped it from all angles, and with each other in the shots to give scale to the fall.

The evening ended with watching England play Montenegro in the World Cup qualifiers, and how desperate it all was. England played OK in the first half, but dreadful in the 2nd, where the hosts overran them, and England, second in FIFA rankings (or something) could do nothing. Their 1-0 lead from the first half was cancelled out in a frantic last quarter when England could hardly muster two passes together. Nearly three years on from Bloemfontein and nothing has changed, so it probably never well.

Wednesday turned out to be a very different kind of day. I guess I have felt under the weather since sometime on Tuesday, but managed to do seven hours at work yesterday before I could not concentrate any more. On the way home I went to the butcher to get something nice for Sunday dinner and then brave Tesco so not have to delay that until Thursday when everyone will be shopping.

Evening walk

And, now I am home of an evening, and despite feeling like the Arctic, it was at least sunny once we got home, so we went for a short walk just because we could. We went as far as the pigs, but they were all tucked up inside their shelter, so we headed back home.

Tractor

Once home I felt really shattered, and so instead of cooking we had the easy standby of Scotch eggs, but I could not finish that, and suddenly felt very, very cold. I decided to head to bed, at six. And there i stayed for the next 16 hours, finally warming up at about ten, but sleeping fitfully.

Kingsdown Vista

Needless to say, work was out today as I still feel spaced and ache all over, so I have just a lunch of cereal, and I do feel more human and my headache has gone. So, I will take to the sofa and watch the birdlife and hopefully feel better for the four day Easter weekend.

No comments: