Thursday 9 May 2013

Thursday 9th May 2013

Yesterday the country was wrought with grief after it was announced that Man Utd’s manager had retired. It was the kind of blanket coverage normally reserved for a head of state or major royal at least. That on the same day it was the Queen’s speech in Parliament, in which she details the coalition’s plans for the next political year. And that was clearly bumped into second place.

Now, I like football, but at the end of the day it is just entertainment. No, really, that is all it is. People are paid to kick a bag of wind around, it can’t be more than entertainment. I am glad that I can put it into perspective, rather than people who called into Radio 5 and were bawling their eyes out, distraught at the news.

Oh yes, Radio 5: they cleared the schedules and talked about nothing else all day. And then ran a three and a half hour ‘retirement special’ instead of bringing us some actual sport. I did listen to it whilst I had my weekly shave, but it got repetitive after 5 minutes. But bear in mind they had already been gassing about this and little else for the previous 13 hours.

So, morning dawned this morning and the world had not spun of its axis, which shows that maybe Manchester U nited are not as important as they or the media think they are. But then I have been typing about it for the last few minutes which means they got me too.

Elsewhere, work goes on, but this time in Kent. I go to the office in the morning, and come back in the evening to spend time with Jools and them cats. I did some pumping lard on the cross trainer last night, and hope to do the same tonight. In addition I have been on several butterfly hunting trips, which have proven fruitless, but it does get me out of the house and living in hope of snapping something next time.

And so, we are on the downward slope towards the weekend and the promise of more international air travel next week, heading to just Denmark, sadly.

No comments: