Friday 4 October 2013

Friday 4th October 2013

Hello. My name is Jelltex and I am on drugs.

Prescription drugs. Horse drugs judging by their size. But it is having an effect, I can see my ankle bones again, like I have thin blokes legs. Anyway, so I take drugs for that, and for my allergies, which seem to have dried up with just the one tablet prescribed by that very nice lady doctor. Oh yes, how much better is it when you don’t have to convince the doctor you really are very ill indeed.

Milepost 95

Anyway, the weekend approaches and I am ready for it. We are off on our travels again tomorrow, but I will leave an element of surprise in that I won’t tell you where we are going, but it does involve going by train. So no surprises there yet!

Last night after work I headed out to Martin Mill station to see a steam train passing through. Martin Mill is our local station, from there it is a stunning descent into Dover through the Guston tunnel and down through Buckland, all the while dropping like a stone so that by the time the train reached Dover Priory it is pretty much at sea level. Heading the other way, it a run gently downhill through Walmer, Deal and Sandwich to Minster Junction. Anyway, the train was due at just after half five, which mean 40 minutes before sunset but with rain forecast it could have been tricky with the light.

70000 "Britannia", Martin Mill, Kent

As it was, after Jools’ train headed out to Dover, we were bathed in golden evening sunshine for a while, which boded well for the arrival of Britannia. Sadly the sun had gone by showtime, but she put on a great show as she thundered through the station and then went up Martin Mill bank into the evening mist and gathering gloom.

Later on I headed down to the promenade to pick Jools up from Yoga. This meant driving down Jubilee Way which is only open in one direction, and after following the signs and driving between the lines of cones I found myself on the wrong side of the road with no other traffic to be seen. I began to doubt whether I had missed a road closed sign or something, but as we spiralled from the cliffs and down to the docks, I was taken back to the correct side of the road.

So, all in all this has been a quiet week, the calm before the storm in terms of work I fear.

No comments: