Friday 11 July 2014

Friday 11th july 2014

Tuesday.

Tuesday morning came round all too quick. I guess I got five hours sleep, that was three too less, but then it was my choice to stay up watching the game. The one consolation was that everyone at the factory would have done exactly the same, as had the customer too. So, after breakfast, we headed into the traffic, travelling at 1kmh under the speed limit all the way to the factory, and so the day’s work could begin.

The day finished at four, and it was half past by the time we got back to the hotel, and so the plan was to head out to snap some churches and to find a café that serves marzipan cake, which is supposed to be divine. Also, we hoped to beat the rain clouds. It had been glorious all day, but as we left the factory, the clouds were gathering. Indeed, as we waited to leave the hotel at just before five, we had to wait for a rain shower to stop.

St. Jakobi, Lubeck, Germany

And then we set off to the first church, St Jakobi. It is a church on a grand scale, but then so the is St Mary’s just down the road. I had been here the evening before, and I only got a glimpse inside as there was an organ recital in progress. So, dodging the raindrops, we made our way to the church, pushed open the door and we walked in.

St. Jakobi, Lubeck, Germany

And wow, forgive me know as my memories of the church are a bit cloudy. Although Tuesday was just five days ago, it seems a lifetime ago. But, the church roof towered over us, the columns were painted, but time and time again it is the sheer scale of the church. I took my shots, took shots of some of the monuments. The west end of the church is dominated by a 16th century organ, which is suspended over the entrance to the church. Like everything else in the church, the organ is huge, and highly decorated.

St. Jakobi, Lubeck, Germany

We walked along to St Mary’s, it is another church on a grand scale, also brick built. St Mary’s was severely damaged by bombs in the war, and has been only partly rebuilt. The church’s bells still lay, shattered, where the RAF’s bombs had caused them to fall. If anything, St Mary’s seems even larger, taller than St Jakobi. I was awestruck, it is worth noting that so many works of art were destroyed in the war, and what is left is pretty much a shell, but still, what a shell.

St. Jakobi, Lubeck, Germany

We left the church, and I guessed that there was still the cathedral, Der Dom, still to see, but it was half five, shops, churches and cafes would close at six, so we tried to find the café, failed so had a coffee at another, sitting on the cobbled streets next to the rathaus, people watching as they passed by.

St. Marien zu Lübeck, Lübeck,

We made our way back to the hotel, I went to the bar to watch the game on TV, Argentine I think it was, nursing a couple of beers as the game progressed. I snacked on some peanuts and other things on the table, so much so that when the game ended, I skipped dinner, went upstairs and crashed out. I did not wait up to see the final game of the round of 16 games.

St. Marien zu Lübeck, Lübeck,

St. Marien zu Lübeck, Lübeck,

St. Marien zu Lübeck, Lübeck,

Wednesday.

I woke after some nine hours or so of sleep. Man, that felt so much better. I went down for breakfast, met up with Anni. The day was splendid, and we were to fly to Denmark, as long as we could persuade the sat nav to find the airport. So, after a leisurely breakfast, we packed and met at the car at ten, ready to leave to Hamburg airport. We had allowed for four hours. Fingers crossed.

We made good time, and then then sat nav took us through some stunning villages, and then the suburbs. Seems like the autobahn was closed for roadworks, and so it guided us round, and in time to the airport. No drama, just efficiently. Just hoped it was easier to use and clearer for us to follow, but there, we were at the airport.

We parked up, the bar code on the screen was scanned, and that was it. Free to go. We walked to the terminal, found the desk, checked in and then went through security, and that was it. Just to confuse matters, Hamburg airport has mixed arrivals and departures, which means even more comings and goings than usual. We had a coffee and a bite to eat. I bought a new wallet. Anni bought a new bag. I read some of the book. In short, time passed.

We boarded the plane, heading not to Denmark, but to Frankfurt. As this is where we had to catch the connecting flight. In the end, flight time was less than an hour, and in that time the staff managed to hand out drinks, and meals to the business class and went round asking if anyone wanted duty free. Phew.

We had an hour to wait, and I managed to find a bar with a seat so I could have a beer and a handful of peanuts.

Time to head onto another flight, at least this was sparsely populated, so I got a row to myself. I read more of the book, I should mention the book is Bill Bryson’s new one, “One Summer”. Very entertaining it is too.

At last we arrived in Billund. At least it is a quiet airport. And as we were not travelling from England we did not have to go through customs. I got my case, went to the car hire place, made sure the car had a sat nav. Sigh, all there was to do now was to drive to the hotel in Lem. Yes, lem. Sounds like a bloke down the pub, but is a small village which is dominated by a factory. Our blade factory. The factory seems to take up over half the area of the village, God knows what they would do if it ever closes, but it isn’t I stress.

I find the hotel, which as I expected, is a typical country place, nice enough. But it was getting late, nearly nine, I was shattered and I just wanted dinner, and then head to bed. After dropping my bags in the room, I head down to the bar, I order lamb chops, which was good enough, although I think they just wanted to serve me quickly and close the kitchen. So, I head to my room, try out the joke which the hotel called their internet connection, and gave up after listening to ISIHAC which took three attempts to make it to the 15 mnute mark. Outside the rain fell and the wind blew, it felt like November.

Thursday.

And here we go again. Down at seven for breakfast and then to 500m drive to the factory. I don’t know what it is with Danish hotels, but we hardly ever get given kettles in the rooms, so there is little to drink other than tap water. Or beer down in the bar. Anyway, some fruit and a crusty roll and off we go.

I won’t way anything again about the day of work, other than it was eye-opening to see things so large being manufactured.

Lem, Denmark

The day finished at four, and so we retired back to the hotel for another session with the world’s worst hotel internet. In the end I gave up and read until it was dinner time. I seem to remember we began with asparagus soup, then followed it by chicken with pasta, but I was surprisingly full well before the plate of the main course was half empty. So, back upstairs as this was the only place in the village that served booze or food.

Friday.

And here we go again: pack the bags, have breakfast, pay the bill, load the car. And off we go. To the factory.

In the end the end is called at about two. The customer packs up and we seem them off the premises. Wethank our hosts, and we leave ourselves. I have the weekend off, I’m staying in DK, staying in Esbjerg, and the football starts again at six. And there is the Irish bar. What could go wrong?

I drove down to Esbjerg, through fields heading towards being ripe for harvesting, along dead straight roads. It was wonderful with the sun shining, and being in the knowledge that I had the whole weekend.

I parked outside the hotel, checked in and dumped my bags and headed out looking for a new suitcase. I was taking no chances, I was going to buy Samsonite or nothing. And it would have to be solid, not fabric. I walked up the main street, which was fairly busy. I found a shop that sold cases, I chose the larges case, costing some 3700 or so Danish KR, which is something over 300 quid, which is a lot, but then I hope it lasts more than one flight unlike the last case.

I took it back to my room, happy with that I headed up to Paddy Go Easy ready for the game at six. There was a seat at the bar, my pint was being poured as I sat down and all was well with the world. Now, beer is good in moderation, and at least I know when I have enough. But once the game was over my friend Patrick says ‘won’t you have another pint?’ I wavered, and then he had me.

At some point I staggered out, went back to my room and crashed out again, thus missing the late Brazil game, but I got nine more hours sleep.

3 comments:

nztony said...

I converted 3700 Danish KR to New Zealand dollars and I was very impressed! I am most definitely looking forward to your review on your new suitcase.

jelltex said...

Well, it was over ten times the price of the one bought six days previously in Dover, but comes with a ten year guarantee, and along with cockroaches will survive nuclear war. So, money well spent.

nztony said...

10 year guarantee - in that case it doesn't matter if it falls apart, just get the replacement ;-) Excellent review!