Wednesday 23 July 2014

Wednesday 23rd July 2014

Tuesday.

Heading into the office in Ramsgate is a pleasure I had almost forgotten. And yet after mixing it with the maniacs driving to Westward Cross soon wrung the pleasure from that. You have to drive at their speeds to be able to get into the correct lanes, and if all is very tiresome. But now that the ferry port has closed, the drive through the tunnel to the office is very quiet, only disturbed by the pigeons roosting my passing spooked.

Garden poppies

Once in the office I found all the monkeys in, and being their usual selves. Seems the wind is in the north, and the swell is too high for landings out on the farm, so they bicker and the suchlike until they are allowed home at half two.

I get into work, and soon the morning speeds past, I almost am able to ignore the monkeys, but then not quite. As I was about to lose my desk, I left at one and drove home in the wonderfully warm summer sunshine, through light traffic and with all windows in the car wound down.

Peacock butterfly, Aglais io

I work away in the afternoon, and it is even too warm to sit outside. At five I go to collect Jools from the factory, only to find a lorry had managed to get stuck coming out of St Radigan’s. As it happens. A police car stopped in front of us to allow the road to be clear so the lorry could turn. It was almost exciting.

Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta

Once back home, we awaited the arrivals of the builders, as the second phase of the renovation is about to begin, the complete recovering of all the exterior walls, and the discovery of defects unknown which lurk under the current coating. So, the house will be terracotta come September, and have some new windows, a new car port, and our savings will be empty again, but the house will be weather-proof for hopefully 20 years.

We stood outside with the builders as they helped me reduce the stock of beer in the fridge, as it was so warm outside on the patio, it was just a pleasure drinking cold beer in the evening sunshine. So, work is due to begin on Monday, and things will not be the same again.

No comments: