Friday 14 November 2014

Friday 14th November 2014

Thursday.

And what is this, waking up in my own bed, on a Thursday, what in darnation is this craziness? Oh yes, back home last night, so I get to work from home as the wind doth blow outside and there will be no desks at Ice Station Ramsgate. So, Jools gets ready for her commute to Hythe, I sip coffee and watch the recording or Sunday's football, Arsenal throwing away another lead, before I settled down to the business of the day, switching on the computer and having another coffee. And another.

I treat the brids outside to an extra pot of food, as they seem to be so hungry, and the day passes quickly and without incident.

At three, I have to walk to the doctors to collect some drugs, being the time of year when it looks cold outside, but isn't really, I put on a coat and a thick work jumper and set off down the street then Station Road into the village. Walking downhill was fine, it felt cold, but back up the other side, my blood started pumping, and I was soon warm enough.

Being nearly half three, the children were leaving school, and being a single male, red faced, I seem to get a few second glances at what I might be doing walking along a public footpath. Walking, obviously. I might make a sign to hand round my neck next time, 'walking to doctors' and not for blue pills.

Anyway, the much promised rain was in the air as I walked back, and I just got home before it began to rain harder. The cats were waiting enquiring where I thought dinner was. Well, its in the cupboards, go and get it. I then pour some crunchies in bowl as a few snacks for then, and then begin the very serious business of preparing roast beef. I weigh the joint, calculate cooking time, coat it in flour and season the ends. Peel the potatoes, put on to boil, mix the Yorkshire Pudding, finally prepare the rest of the vegetables. Back in the living room I select a bottle of red to have with dinner, and all is set.

I time it perfectly, giving Jools ten min utes to change before dishing up: the house is filled with glorious smells, and if I say so myself, tastes as good as it smells. And looks.

And tomorrow is Friday, and after that the weekend which holds the promise of shopping, haircuts, and maybe some train chasing. Who knows.

No comments: