Sunday 2 November 2014

Monday 3rd November 2014

Sunday.

With heavy rain forecast for the afternoon, we decided to make the most of it before the rain hit. As the work uncovering the WWII works in Fan Bay have beenin going apace, I knew they had uncovered the sound mirrors. So, after watching MOTD, I grabbed my cameras and walking boots, and we drove along Reach Road to the dog walkers car park, strapped on our boots and set off into the howling gale.

Fan Bay Deep Shelter and Sound Mirrors

Nothing quite like walking along the cliffs in a storm, whilst the wind tried to sweep us off the cliff edge, down below the waves crashed against the foot of the cliffs: dramatic stuff!

Fan Bay Deep Shelter and Sound Mirrors

We made our way along Langdon Bay a brisk ten miunte walk to Fan Bay, and there was the entrance to the deep shelter, little different from when we were last here. Where were the sound mirros? I saw some work had been done lower down the hillside, and sure enough, the works were fenced off, but it would be quite a scramble down to get shots. Should I go down?

Sunday morning walk to Fan Bay and back

Silly question, as I made my way down the very steep hill, 60 degrees in places, but steps had been cut in the earth making it possible to get down. The sound mirrors are almost in pristine condition, after over 60 years of being buried, and it was quite some job to uncover them. I got the record shots, then began to look for an easier way up, the path having been swept away in a cliff fall, I had to scramble back up the way I came, which I did with no bother.

Sunday morning walk to Fan Bay and back

Back home i put the rolls I had been making all morning, into the oven. So they would be cool enough to eat at lunch time.

The afternoon was filled with editing photos, laying on the sofa and listening to the radio. THe usual. Jools when to see Nan, who is still in a bad way and is also very frail.

Anyway, the rain arrived, sweeping great sheets of the stuff from the west, soaking the land and turning the afternoon into early evening.

Somehow, the day had slipped through my fingers, and it was time to pack for the trip to Denmark in the morning. Where does the time go?

No comments: