Friday 28 November 2014

Friday 28th November 2014

Tuesday.

I am writing this on Thursday evening. It has been quite a week, and therefore the longer back I look into the past, or some 48 hours ago, the less reliable my memory is.

Being November, it is dark when the alarm went off at quarter past five. I laid in the bed whilst Jools went downstairs, made coffee, fed the cats. As there was no way of avoiding it, I got up and got ready to leave. The cats were out doing whatever they get up to outside, so I checked the bags, and we loaded the car ready of the big off.

Due to leaf problems, my train now leaves five minutes earlier, which means a prompt exit from the house, and hoping there is not a big queue at the ticket office once we get to the station. I suppose I always sound down to Jools as we say goodbye and I make ready to climb out of the car, but I would rather be home if truth be known, and I have leaving home. But saying that, I love the feeling when I am returning, and the train rolls into Dover and we head home in the car. Sometimes we have to suffer the downs to appreciate the ups.

And so, onto the platform, switching on my phone to check my mails from over the weekend. Not much exciting had happened, which was nice for a change. And off we glide away, into the Harbour Tunnel and toward Denmark. Via Stratford and LCY. There was a hint of brightness on the eastern horizon meaning dawn would soon be here, but it means I will just be looking at my own reflection as the cross Kent, instead of the countryside.

At Ashford, the train filled up with commuters. At least it is light enough to look out the window, and ignoring those keen bods already writing e mails and writing documents on their laptops.

We crossed the traffic jammed Dartford Crossing, crossing into Essex and then into the tunnel taking us to Stratford. The tiny-minded were queuing a full 5 minutes before we arrived at the station, I get off at the last minute after having to force a guy who was standing in front of the luggage rack and would not move. Get got a 20Kg suitcase in the ribs.

Crossed London, arrived at the airport, got the boarding pass, handed lu case in, went through security and made my way to the café for breakfast: scrambled eggs this time, which was pretty poor, but with enough toast for a slice with marmalade on to go with the second cuppa.

The flight is called, so we all make our way to the gate, from where we see the passengers from the flight from Billund getting off.

I settle into my seat with the John Lydon book, stopping to watch out of the window as we take off, and into the sky we go, passing through the low cloud and in time into the bright sunshine above. Now Mr Lydon, what were you saying?

An hour and a half or so later, we descend into the final approach at Billund to find Denmark is in bright sunshine, and not a cloud can be seen. Can this be really Denmark, not somewhere like Spain? No, it is Denmark, and look, Legoland. And we’re down.

I collect a Citroen C4, a huge 7 seater car which is to be my steed for the week. I load it up, insert the lozenge, press the button marked ‘start’ and off we go.

It is a 45 minute drive down to Esnjerg, and is very pleasant despite the bright low sun which means that it is hard on my eyes, but I’m not going to complain about seeing the sun this far north. OK, not that far north.

I have a few hours at the office before everyone else is leaving for the day, so why shouldn’t I? No reason at all. So off to the hotel, and I get a parking space outside, I check in and am back at the computer dealing with more issues.

I have, however, heard that Paddy’s has re-opened, so I make sure I go in to sample a pint of red. I leave my room at six, and outside it is cold. Darn cold. I walk up the main street and the shops are all full of festive stuff. Oh well, at least it feels cold enough up here!

Inside Paddy’s it was empty, with just a couple of Danes behind the bar. No one I knew. I got a pint, ready my book and headed for Dronning Louise where I knew there would be a burger and a pint of Christmas beer waiting for me. There was a table, so I order burger and a pint and settle down to more words of wisdom from Mr. John Lydon.

I have a second pint as it was so nice and toasty inside the bar.

But the footy was calling, so I rush back to the hotel and find it is Citeh v Beyern on the telly. Yay. And Citeh come from behind to win with a last minute goal. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Wednesday.

With our now fixed starting inspections at nine, I have a long lay in, before I get ready for the day ahead. It is still dark outside as I go down to breakfast just before eight, although dawn was coming.

It is an half hour’s drive to Varde, where work was beckoning. But on a lighter note, I had left my phone in the hotel room. So, should be a nice quiet day.

Apart from the work thing that is, of course. So, at nine we’re all in the office and lets get it going.

And in the end, it was a very good day, especially for me anyway. Maybe I will make a go of this job after all. Stranger things have happened. Apparently.

That night I thought I had arranged to meet Steffen at Dronning Louise, but after waiting outside for 45 minutes, I re-checked his texts to find he was going out on a hot date instead. Silly me. So I walk back to the hotel, collect my book from the room and go to have dinner in the bar where I am on a table on me tod, like everyone else. So the meal passes slowly and quietly. I really must stop eating in here.

No comments: