Saturday 21 March 2015

Saturday 21st March 2015

Friday.

First day of Spring.

Last day of the working week.

End of days. Possibly.

Yes, the day of the spring equinox, when day equals night. And the day of a solar eclipse. Although, total eclipse was not visible from Kent. Or England. Or Scotland. But from the north of Scotland it would be 98% total, whilst down here in Kent is would be 85%.

But some fool (me) had arranged a meeting between nine and ten when the peak of the eclipse would be just after half nine. Silly me. However, looking out the back door, just confirmed my fears and the forecast, as all we could see was solid thick cloud from horizon to horizon.

Partial solar eclipse 20th March 2015

There was still two hours to go, maybe it would improve? It didn't. I kept going out to look, but as the disc of the sun was obscured, it got darker and darker, but no gaps in the cloud. The cockerel up the street was confused and was crowing almost non-stop. At half nine, the wind dropped, and there was still no gap in the cloud. The meeting I arranged, well, only two of us turned up, and so I managed to end it in 20 minutes. So, allowing me to see the sky darkening.

On TV, live folm from the Faroe Islands, and in a plane above them, showed totality, even if from the ground nothing of the eclipse could be see either.

The day progressed, more meetings, more mails, more phone calls.

Until at about three, I decided I had sent enough mails, it was an hour later in Denmark and Holland, but I kept my phone on just in case of emergencies. I put on the TV to see what was one. And there really is nothing quite like daytime TV for reminding you that even watching paint dry is more entertaining. Channels of crap. Dozens of channels of crap. Someone must watch it, I did find myself diverted by Storage Hunters again, only to find them bidding on boats, I guess at Lake Mead, gambling thousands of bucks, knowing nothing about boats, hoping to make a profit.

I hit the off button.

Once again the light is fading. I make a coffee, sit on the sofa with the cats looking at the birds in the front garden. The weekend has arrived.

Jools comes home, I have made pasta salad for dinner. I open a bottle of red wine, fry up some bangers to go in the pasta. Perfect.

The evening petered out once again, with The DOn waxing about plants, ponds and stuff. Gardening eye-candy.

No comments: