Monday, 31 August 2026

Saturday 29th August 2026

Its the bank holiday weekend.

The last one before Christmas, though in fairness, every weekend is a bank holiday now.

Being the weekend, it meant going to the gym first thing, so up just before six, sort the cats out and drink coffee.

The gym is at least quiet at weekends, so we park easily, walk to the entrance and up the stairs to our twin instruments of torture.

I do 35 minutes again, as I was cooking and I really wasn't into it. Being a holiday weekend, there was no new pods to listen to, so I grumbled as I peddled.

Then to Tesco where renovations are nearly done, with just the new freezers to be plugged in, but more aisles have moved and were hiding their wares.

We get all the stuff off the list, and back home for half eight, it was getting darker, not lighter, and the plan to meet up with friends at the East Kent Light Railway beer festival was looking increasingly like a bad idea.

Two hundred and forty one As heavier rain was expected, I called Andy and we agreed to delay it 24 hours, meaning I suddenly had hours free.

And with the rain beginning to fall, I made a huge pot of Boston beans, taking nearly and hour to prepare the ingredients, and then combining in a big pot and cooking in the oven for four hours.

Another downpour And then it was time for football: Middlesborough v unbeaten WBA, which ended 3-1 home win, then listen to the main games on the radio whilst watching the cycling with the commentary turned down.

Norwich were 2-0 up within two minutes of the start against Burnley, and romped to the first league win of the season, 4-1.

Poppy ignore the football In the cycling, it was all gearing up for a sprint finish, but had been marred by three small crashes. Then forty kilometres out, leader and legend, Tadej Pogačar, swerved, crashed into a rider next to him, then went over the handlebars, breaking his collarbone and suffering concusion.

His race was run.

Wow.

Jen came round for supper. I defrosted and warmed up some ragu, boiled pasta and once dished placed crispy guanciale on top.

It was magnificent.

We talked, laughed, and drank wine.

No comments: