Tuesday 25 September 2018

Monday 24th September 2018

And the weather had changed so it was back to summer. Or was once the sun was up and shining on the back of the house, when we got up it was chilly enough to put the heating on for a bit.

And it was back to work again, is there two Mondays in a week now, 'cos they come round pretty darn quickly if you ask me.

Jools is up and about and full of beans, and soon leaves for work so I take to the sofa to watch the recording of Sunday's footy and eat breakfast as I slob out.

But soon quarter to eat comes round and I must try to get my new office set up, up and running. I put stands on the screens, then I find I can't attach the cables, so I try to detach the feet, only to discover they are now cold welded, apparently, to the stand and no amount of force will shift them. I get one end of the link cable into one of the screens, but the other end is a different shape for the second scree, so no matter how I push and swear, it won't go in. So, I give up I connect the laptop, the screen and I have one large screen to work off, which is quite an improvement, though this new set up takes the other half of the table from my home PC.

The garden in autumn But work is now almost a pleasure, sorting through the inbox, updating spreadsheets and attending meetings and the like.

Jools had another appointment at the hospital in the afternoon, so comes back to pick me up, to drive back to Ashford as she is interviewed prior to be given a magic box to measure her breathing and pulse and so on when she is asleep. As ever, we are hoping this is the final appointment in what has been a long line of them. It was a glorious afternoon, warm enough to be summer, nearly, and driving along was warm enough to put the air con on.

The garden in autumn We had to check in, then go from waiting room to waiting room until she is interviewed and given the box, and we could go.

But driving back in rush hour along the M20, through Folkestone to home. We get back at five, time enough to get busy in the garden.

Fr the last two years I have seeded the lawn with Yellow Rattle and wild flower seeds, but this year I mean business. I have half a kilo of yellow Rattle and kilo of wild flower and grass mix, but preparation is the key.

I scarify the lawn, one way then the other. Collect the dried grass and clumps of fresh stuff that I had uprooted.

Finally, mow the whole law to gather up what I had failed to gather the dried waste, and finally broadcast both lots of seeds, to ensure an even harvest come next summer. The seeds came to over £150 this year, enough to ensure the whole garden was done, needed less due to the new beds, though, but will sow the rest in the early spring.

Phew.

That called for a beer. But instead I go to the kitchen to make fresh pasta carbonara, following a Jamie Oliver recipe. And you know what, it was bloody marvelous, I also made garlic bread, which I washed down with red wine.

Two hundred and sixty six And Late Jools made apple and blackberry crumble and custard, which was also rather wonderful. And then we sat down to watch Deapool 2, which, sadly, left me rather cold, a lot of the humour seemed forced compared to the first one. Hey ho.

No comments: