Friday 7 September 2018

Tuesday 4th September 2018

Due to the fact that I felt the sky was falling at work, instead of a day at the office in Esbjerg, I got up early to drive to Aarhus.

Aarhus As much as it surprises some people, there is a lot of traffic at rush hour around Aarhus, and most roads are jammed. Once, when I told my Mother about this, she asked where all the people were going; to work Mum, to work.

Aarhus I got up, packed and checked out, had a quick breakfast before loading the car and setting off into the dawn, past the harbour which is now dominated by the tower sections for our huge turbine.

A walk in Aarhus Just to make my mood perfect, mist soon turned to fog, so I had to ease up for a while, as traffic entered banks of mist and fog, then out the other side.

A walk in Aarhus In time the sun rose, a faint creamy disk viewed through the fog, but it quickly warmed, and burnt the fog and mist off, just in time to turn onto the E45 to drive upto Aarhus and the waiting jams

A walk in Aarhus The jams were there, and quite bad, but only really held me up half an hour, and anyway, by now it was a sunny day, and I could look at the wild flowers on the verge as the traffic shuffled along.

A walk in Aarhus Into the office, and straight down to work, sorting out the overflowing inbox, attending meetings, and in a few hours, what had seemed like a series of huge problems were fixed by some diligent work.

A walk in Aarhus Panic over.

A walk in Aarhus I have lunch, and my mood improves further.

A walk in Aarhus And is even better at five when I leave for the hotel. I am booked into the Comwell this week, a fine place, but with limited parking. At least driving to that, I had no difficult turns to make right, so no cyclists were threatened by my driving, and even better, there was plenty of paces under the hotel to park in, even the bus of a car I have this week.

A walk in Aarhus I check in and was told I have a nice room.

A walk in Aarhus And once inside it on the 9th floor, I agree. It has a modern four poster bed, a desk, sofa, separate bathroom, is a suite in fact, and has huge windows overlooking the city and harbour.

Two hundred and forty six But photography is calling, so I take me and the camera back down to ground level, to walk to the harbourside, over the new tram lines to take in some early evening sunshine and increase my step count for the day.

A walk in Aarhus Many other were also out, some having a picnic beside the water, large groups of cyclists zipping by, and others just out smiling as the endless Danish summer continues into September.

A walk in Aarhus I walk up the main square, past the cathedral and theatre, in front of which a Turkish food festival was one, and smelt delicious. But I know what I am going to eat that evening. Restaurants by the canal have seats and table set out beside the water, and as darkness falls looks really fabulous with the reflections in the still water.

A walk in Aarhus I cross the main shopping street, and a few hundred yards further along is the Memphis Smokehouse, and there is a table outside. And next to me is a colleague from work and her boyfriend. She is Turkish, he is Spanish, and they are both working in Denmark, forging a new life, and loving the opportunities life has for them.

A walk in Aarhus I order some smoked turkey breast, and when it arrives smother it with a mixture of sweet and spicy bbq sauce. Worked well. I have a Margherita to finish the evening off. Well, before walking back the same way to the hotel and my fine room.

A walk in Aarhus I listen to the radio as I lay on the bed, nodding off as the city buzzed way down below.

A walk in Aarhus And this is work. Apparently.

No comments: