Thursday 18 June 2020

Wednesday 17th June 2020

Day three of the week off, and the weather was on the turn.

So much I wanted to do, and for the time being, on hold, but the weather will get better from Thursday afternoon. So, back in the snapping groove then.

And the other thing you need to know about Wednesday was that it was the return of football. Or the Premier League.

Yes, in empty stadiums two teams would begin to do battle over points and broadcaster's money. I am jaded about it, but in truth thankful that my mind would be taken up with stuff that isn't Brexit or COVID; I paid for a month's subs.

The first two games, those involving the for teams who have a game in hand would play first, whilst the circus proper starts on Friday with games EVERY DAY for six weeks. Unless things go very wrong and someone comes down with the virus and that team and the ones they played in the previous two weeks have to isolate, and the teams those teams had played too.

But for now, yay, football.

But first: more stuff.

My friend, Gary, had snapped a field of poppies near to South Foreland Lighthouse, I know some of you are big fans, so we thought we would wander down there while the sunshine lasted to grab some shots, before going to Tesco and spend the afternoon watching the storm radar hoping for a thunder storm to drift over the Channel.

We all need a hobby.

Anyway, after coffee we drive to the village car park, then walk through the housing estate to the path leading over the large field towards the cliffs. We let others pass, sometimes they let us pass, its all very well mannered.

There was a lot of people about, and I got into my mind they might all be budding snappers, even if they were clearly walking their dogs, so ignoring my back, I stomp up the hill, past the lighthouse and down to the cliffs.

No poppies.

I knew they wouldn't be far, so walk along the wall, and just beyond were the poppies. Lots of poppies.

They sky wasn't as blue as it was for Gary, but I take shots anyway, all along the fence, then using the path to cross into the field, where the feet of dozens of photographers had flattened large areas of poppy stems.

One hundred and sixty nine I take my shots from their footsteps, and happy with that, we walk back to the car, and then drive to Tesco, where there was no queue to get in. This is only my second visit to tesco sine the lockdown began, the only other time was the Thursday before Easter. The shop wasn't busy, but people ignoring the one way system and distancing, most oblivious to those and anyone, anything else.

We spend a lot, they have my favourite Belgian beers in 75cl litre bottles. Or had the beer in bottles. I now have them all. We get food and stuff, but beer was the most important....

And we are done, leave the store, load the car and drive home, all back by 11, and putting away the shopping and making lunch of ham rolls and a brew.

Lovely.

And that was it, really, the rest of the afternoon was spent with me taking 40 winks on the sofa, then making brews and finally preparing the aubergine for dinner.

But between the egg and breadcrumbing and frying and then eating, I had to go down the hill to the physio, as I have tennis elbow of the shoulder, and life was becoming just too painful.

So, I was called with instructions to wait in the car, wearing a mask, and only leave the car when told to do so.

Which is what happened, then this tiny little Belgian young lady laid into me, all in the hope of making things better.

That will be £42, please.

But I had already paid.

Back home to cook the aubergine, all in time to sit down for an evening's football on the telebox.

Went to bed at 10:15.

No comments: