Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Tuesday 11th August 2026

The holiday is well and truly over as Tuesday rolled round, and so the alarm had to be set so we could go to the gym early doors.

I had weeks of podcasts ready to listen to, what could go wrong?

What could go wrong was that the rechargeable battery had gone flat.

This I only discovered when at the gym beside the bike, and all revved up and ready to peddle.

I tried and tried and connect the headphones with the phone, and nothing was doing. So, the only choice was to listen to the Eurodisco on the gym hi-fi, and watch the video of a bike ride through the French Alps.

You can guess why I chose that.

As the first session back after 24 days, I did 21 minutes, and so reached the Rush time: 21:12, I called it a day, and said I'd do more the next session on Thursday.

I had also managed to strain my knee sitting badly at the table, so with every step I felt my right knee was going to collapse.

But didn't.

And through the day it got better.

We had showers, and then took the day easy.

I filled the day watching "I am a cliché", the life story of the erstwhile Poly Styrene, aka Marianne Joan Elliott-Said, the lead singer and songwriter for X-Ray-Spex.

A remarkable story, and a sad one told by her daughter, who used the film I think as a journey of discovery as who her Mother was before she was born.

Marianne/Poly was ahead of the curve when it came to DIY fashions, having lived through a hard life as the child of a mixed race couple.

Anyway, its a film well worth seeking out, and is currently on Sky Arts, which for me is free, rather than renting through Amazon.

The other task for the day was to search the listings for the Heritage Weekends in September, and choosing which places to visit or have to book for. I will try a few of these, and others on the Ride and Stride list, which takes place at the same time on the same day.

Two hundred and twenty three There was no football, but the start of the season gets ever closer, with the grande depart for the football league kicks off this weekend.

We were going out on the patio to watch the bats emerge and hunt for food, but tiredness overtook us, so we went upstairs to bed.

No comments: