Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Monday 5th October 2026

One Friday, about two weeks back, I went past Dover Castle on the way into town, and saw there were no buses or coaches parked up, meaning the castle would be quiet.

Two hundred and seventy eight At the weekend I suggested to Jools we might go Monday, and she agreed.

Needless to say, I forgot, helped in this by the nearly ten hours sleep I got Sunday night, and laying in to nearly seven.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle I felt great.

For once.

I had coffee, as did Jools. She had been up since five, waiting on hand on foot to the felines.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle So it was we had a quiet build up before leaving for Dover at half nine, as I wanted to call in at Lidl to see if they had the box of Octoberfest beers I had seen advertised.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle They hadn't, but spent fifteen quid on nine bottles of the cheap as chips tripel, and two trial bottles of Weissbier at £1.29 a half litre.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Then to the castle, arriving just as it opened at ten, so able to drive up to the car park, on the way we saw just one coach, from Berlin, so there would be fifty over-excited Teutonic teens, but its a big castle.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle We showed our membership cards and weree allowed in, the first thing I hoped to see were the Red-billed choughs that since being released nearby, have taken up residence in the Roman Pharos.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Imagine our joy to see, once we had climbed up the the foot of the lighthouse, that inside were indeed a pair of Choughs, the sunlight illuminating their beaks.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Whilst all around the Choughs were in dogfights with Jackdaws, both cawing at each other, though the Choughs could easily outfly their cousins.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle We watched them for half an hour, on the rise behind the church and lighthouse, behind the steep drop down to the port and the Channel.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle To the keep!

A short walk to the ramp leading to the inner Baily, where we were greeted by a stout fellow, hearty and well me, who went by the fabulous name of Titus, though his surname wasn't Andronicus!

A quiet walk round Dover Castle We talked for five minutes before climbing into the keep, up past the small chapel, and into the throne room, all decked out in bright colours, as it would have been in our old friend, Henry II's day.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Behind the thrones was a staircase, up to the roof of the keep, with stunning views of the town and harbour far below, and along the downs either side.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle The light breeze cooled us down after the climb up and round the spiral staircases that lead us ever upwards.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Down the other side, down another spiral staircase, which I can't help but take many pictures off as side passages joined and lead off.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Through the dining room, down another spiral stair to the kitchens, all alive with recorded sounds of an army of cooks and helpers preparing a feast.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle And into the inner courtyard, now to find the recently reopened mediaeval tunnels.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle If I remembered correctly, through the gate nearby, down the slope and into the outer courtyard, should be it.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle It was, but it has all been rebuilt, with a new entrance room lading to the steps down.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Three more fine fellows greeted us, and I was wearing a Norwich top, we talked football for ten minutes, where conversation turned to Citeh, obviously.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle The steps lead to a steeply sloping tunnel, which after rounding a corner lead to a caponier, lined with canon and canonettes, just as we remembered it.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Then up some steps, along another sloping tunnel linking the ancient with the Georgian, another caponier, before up a final set of steps, leading back into the bright sunlight.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle An area that has not been previously be open to the public, running beside Castle Hill to the junction with Reach Road.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle We stopped for ten minutes on a bench, and delighted in seeing third generation Small copped in flight, and males fighting on the wing.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle Again, it was almost hot, and getting near to dinner time, So we walked down the slope, back to the inner courtyard, then to the car park and to home.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle And once home I cook a quick snack of burger, but no fries. And no beer.

Which left the warm afternoon to sit outside and enjoy the sun as it moved westwards before sinking low, as then did the temperatures.

A quiet walk round Dover Castle We had a snack for supper, then I pondered whether to watch the Northern Ireland game on TV, but chose to go to bed at half eight instead.

It were dark.

No comments: