Friday, 9 October 2026

Thursday 8th October 2026

Thursday.

And later a return to summer, with warm temperatures and wall to wall sunshine.

Before then there was the early morning alarm, then to the gym at ten to six.

There is no light in the sky at five now, not until the end of the month when the clocks go back, but there is a chorus of cats, welcoming us back to the land of the living.

We get the tasks done, make coffee, so are ready for the phys.

We arrived at a minute past six, the queues had gone in, mostly to the pool, so we walked in and up, took position on the bikes and began to peddle.

I had an episode of The Bugle (Hello, Buglers) to listen to, and one that lasted 30 seconds under 50 minutes, so no excuse not to go all the way.

Which I do.

When we come out, the sun is just about to rise again, and its light illuminates the edges of clouds towering over northern France.

Sun touches the clouds I take a shot.

Then back home before the rush, getting back and putting the kettle on.

Too cold for a moment to sit outside, so with supplies low, I volunteer to go to Tesco for the weekly shop.

There are lots of people of a certain age there, and others who seem to have no thought for the movement of others.

Halfway round I lose the shopping list, but I think I remembered all items. Then when loading the bags into the car, there was the list where I am sure I had looked.

No matter that I had forgotten kiwi fruit, as I was to call in at Lidl for their box of German beers, so bought the fruit and lunch, and was back home by ten.

Two hundred and eighty one I have a shower and shave, and happy with the thought no more early mornings until Tuesday, as weekend phys begins an hour later.

Sweet.

We have lunch, then sit in the garden until about half two, quarter to three, when the warmth suddenly leaves the sunlight on us on the bottom patio. So we make tracks back to the house, close the doors and windows, as it was going to be a chilly night.

Smoked haddock, mashed potatoes softened with the leftover milk and butter from the fish, fresh corn and creamed spinach for supper.

Aldersbacher Festbier Was very good, as was the first bottle of German beer.

Then was the last football-free evening for four weeks, so read and was in bed by nine.

Phew.

No comments: