Tuesday 11 August 2009

The night shift

And so, my first night shift is over. In actual fact, time flew by as I was quite busy.

I get to work on my own for the most part, with just the occasional wander into the factory to check on what they are doing.

Cath was waiting for me when I arrived and she told me what she wanted me to do that night; mainly just looking at piles of print for the outside of boxes. No pressure, just do what I can. The she took me round to introduce me to the people in charge and tell them that I was in possession of a brain.

They were non-plussed, but then they had work to do; as did I. So, back into the office, on with the radio and lets begin. Each pallet took about half an hour, and one became two became three, and so on. And on the radio, DJs changed and outside the sun set and it became dark.

I got breaks every three hours, and so that helped pass the night as I counted down to each coffee break.

And so the night passed; nothing exciting, just work and the radio. How good it was to hear the leaving off bell at six, and throw my stuff in the locker, walk through the factory and clock out. And then the short walk to the car, shouting goodbyes to those I had made contact with doing the night; do you need a lift, and so on.

At least leaving work at six means that the town is still quiet, with just a few drunks wandering along the roads. I drove home the quick way, it had seemed ages since I had spoke to Jools, and we would have nearly an hour before she would make the return journey. No views across the Channel to France when I go that way home, but more fields have now been harvested, and it feeling more like autumn with each passing day. I guess the heavy clouds above did not help.

And then, back in the village; up the hill, down the dip the other side; a left turn and there is home.

Just eleven hours before I have to do it all again. Welcome to the working week.

No comments: