Friday 22 January 2010

Rockin' their (photographic) world

And so, like that visit to an old smelly distant relative, the new season at the camera club rolled round again.

In truth, Dover Gateway Camera Club is not that bad, it's less cliquey than others I have been to. My impression might have been because I was not a frequent visitor because of work, and so I did not make connections or friendships. That is my problem, I guess.

Anyway, the first meeting of the year is one where members are invited to bring in images that they have taken during the break. Sadly, most don't bother, I think many not to give away s hint of what images they will be entering in competitions during the year.

One of the other members who actually did bring in some images was mr 1D himself. I think upon reflection, I have been hard on him. He may have bought a top line camera, but it trying to push the boundries of what he does; over the break he decided to build himself a device to fire his flash by sound, so he could photograph balloons popping.
And he did it, he has the mechanism built, done some test shots, and got some results. All he needs to do is fine tune that. And his water droplet series was wonderful, and once again his description on how to control the drip rate, something I have never thought was a problem.

Another member showed half a dozen shots of his recent trip to Argentina; some of people dancing the salsa, brightly coloured housing in shanty towns; all very good indeed.

Next up was Gary, a fellow Flickr-ite, and he showed his great shots of garden birds, steam trains and the such, as well as his super-cool neutral-density filter, used for those really l-o-n-g exposures.

And then there was me. I collected a few images on a data traveller without much thinking to be honest, shots I liked.

Here are the images:

Carousel

The Great Hall, Natural History Museum

60163 Tornado: White Cliffs Christmas Luncheon Special 21st December 2009

The Clachan

The Great Hall, Natural History Museum

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, St Mary in the marsh, Kent

St John, Maddermarket, Norwich

The Parish Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's-at-Cliffe

Waltzers

Mr 1D had said that he thought that there was not much going out taking pictures at this time of year, and that is why he was doing his stuff with the balloons. So, I showed my 14 shots, talked about why I had taken them, about hand-holding low light shots to more than two seconds, answered questions. I think this was the first time they had seen so much of my work, and they were quite stunned. As I left many said kind words.

So, hell yeah! Bad time for photography indeed, and so much for not hand-holding below 1/50th of a second. I rock!

No comments: