Monday 4 January 2010

We should never go back

I think I mentioned that back in September, I did not go to my high school reunion. There were a few reasons, but after seeing pictures from that night, I had pangs of guilt. And so when it was suggested to have a less-formal get-together in the New Year, I thought I would go and lay those demons to rest.

Heck, I even organised it. Well, created a group on Facebook and invited those who I thought would like to go, scour those in the old yearbook and find them on Facebook, add them as 'friends' and invite them too.

So, what could possibly go wrong? And why do I think it will be horrible.

Well, I did meet one of my old friends, years ago. In fact Simon was my best friend at one time; but we trod different paths. He became a yuppie, a young conservative; I wondered why he didn't like that Billy Bragg concert I took him to. So, in 1995, I got invited to a party at his place in Norwich whilst I was home from Germany whilst in the RAF.
And beyond the initial rush of 'do you remember that time in maths.....' and all that, we had nothing in common. Well, there's a shock Ian. I mean, two different people with three years or so of shared history, now doing different things, voting different ways, and only one had a brand new BMW on the drive; it wasn't me.

And so this weekend we drive back to Suffolk to do this on a grand scale, maybe 30 old friends and acquaintances in the Foxburrow Pub talking about all our yesterdays. I think it's going to be hell. I hope that I am wrong, and apart from meeting Simon again, there will others I will have a rapport with.

At least we get to have a weekend up there, and not spend time at mum's as we are going to stay at a Travelodge thing, so no awkward silences and sudden changes in conversation if we stray to close to subjects off the menu. We will spend most of Saturday in Norwich, so I can go to the football, then travel back for the meet-up.

I think Hollywood is to blame, raising our hopes on such occasions. At least I'm not a hitman in town for another job.

Or am I?

No.

No comments: