Thursday 18 February 2010

Midweek blues

And on Tuesday the rain did fall and the snow did melt. Fast.

Not much to do than to stay inside and search online to find a job; no luck of course.

For dinner I made paprika mince burek, a kind of Slovak samosa, a recipe I have worked out for myself. All wrapped in filo pastry, they came out well and made enough for snacks during the week. Although I have yet to master the art of making neat triangles, and instead made amorphous shapes, but they all taste the same, or that's what I tell myself.

And then on Wednesday, a flaming ball of gas did rise in the east and make the land warm. I say warm, warmer than it has been, and more snow did melt. I dropped Jools off at work and got ready for an interview.

The interview was for a job down the cruise terminal at the docks for seasonal workers. Not the job I would have chosen, but is work for four months, and that counts for lots. I can't rely on a week here and there from survey companies. It is for being a luggage porter, but I'm willing to do anything.

I showered, shaved and put on my suit. I link I looked good. An hour before the interview I set off so not to get caught in traffic if a ferry had docked and the roads clogged up. I arrived in plenty of time and sat in the car park of the terminal listening to politicians arguing as to who would cut more services but make things better. Both were lying.

The interview was in two parts, the first part was a general part where they check your identification and check that you can smell, see and hear. The smell check was sniff three bottles and say what they smelt of; that I heard the previous persons answers made it easy, but the smells were almonds, oranges and peppermint. So if your smuggling any of those three items, beware, we can sniff you out!

The sight test was reading the line on the opticians board with letters apparently two inches high; I passed that. And the hearing test was that you could hear the questions the lady was asking.

Dover's Olympic TV screen attracts crowds for the snowboarding coverage.

Next part was to chat whilst filling in a form for a background check, and that was it. I drove back home in the glorious sunshine, changed, had lunch and then went out with camera to snap in the sunshine.

I went down to the seafront to photograph the new watersports centre; it's an angular building, and looked great with the wide angle lens against the blue sky. And then into the town centre to snap a church and the town hall whilst the light was so good.

The dead centre of Dover

Sadly, it was then to the creche that is Tesco during half-term. Tired mothers with a gaggle of complaining or screaming children filled the aisles; I grabbed the things I needed, found a nearly empty till and got the heck out of Dodge.

Maison Dieu, Dover

Time to visit the in-laws in whitfield; they were all fine and then back home to prepare to make Beef Wellington with the meat left from the Sunday roast. They came out brilliant, along with the roast potatoes and steamed vegetables.

And now it is Thursday, the mist hangs round the house like a shroud; no sniff of a job, and so I am listening to a radio show from last night via the interwebs.

No comments: