Thursday 11 February 2010

Thursday, Snow Day mk 2

So, five weeks after we had our last blanket of the white stuff, we get more. Estimates vary from four to eight inches, but in the gale force easterly winds, it is drifting into what seems like much, much more.

The forecast said it would begin to fall hard from six last night, in fact it was a little earlier, but good enough so most people left for home early.

I spent the middle part of the day helping my friends move their stuff around in their new flat in Ashford. I took my cameras along just in case the light got better and I could snap something. It didn't, and before lunch it started to snow. Just showers, but some heavy enough to make my excuses and head back to Dover.
I called Julie and I picked her up from work at half one, and soon we were climbing the hill out of town onto the high road along the cliffs. Typically, there was little snow, but Jools had brought some work with her that she could e mail back to the office, so it was not as if she was playing hooky.

At about three the snow began to fall hard, and by dark a couple of inches had fallen. Through the evening it tried to snow some more, but nothing as bad as forecast.

And even when I woke up at half five this morning, it looked like not much more had fallen. Then, the thunder and lightning began, and the wind howled and the snow fell in blizzard-like conditions. The guy over the road left at the height of the snow and soon returned and could not get his car back up the drive.

We stayed in bed with the curtains open and watched the weather do it's worse.

Now it is mid-morning, it alternates between bright sunlight and more snow flurries. Jools is doing more work via the interwebs as we listen to some CDs. My interview tomorrow has been postponed until next week, and so the week peters out and the weekend looms.

No comments: