Tuesday 30 August 2011

Monday 30th August 2011

Tuesday; Market Day in Kings Lynn. And back to work for the rest of the UK. Or those not involved in the service industry who had to work regardless.

Of course, being Britain, and being a Bank Holiday, being the late summer bank holiday, we weather wasn’t really very good. Not that we would be surprised; even in 1976, the hottest hot summer we ever had, it poured on the bank holiday. We had our fair share of rain this year too; but, saying that, just about all fields have been harvested round our house, just like it would have in a really ‘hot’ summer. It’s just that we haven’t had much wall to wall sunshine days I guess.

Sunday morning came round and we headed to The Pines, a garden in St Margaret’s. Being a rural local, the £3 entrance fee was deposited in an ‘honesty’ box. And right away there was a pond at waist level, and flitting around was a big dragonfly. We had come down because my good friend, Gary, had been down here last week and snapped several species. And so I thought we should head down too.

The dragonfly, a Common Darter, was looking for places to lay her eggs. As she moved round the front of the pond, I was able to get some stunningly clear shots as she worked her way round.

Laying eggs

The garden is rather wonderful, and makes its way up the valley that cuts through the chalk of the cliffs. Being deep down between the cliffs and surrounded by tall trees, even on a blustery day there is little wind to disturb the butterflies and dragonflies. I took a seat by another small pond and watched brightly coloured dragonflies, red-veined darters, flit around. I thought I stood little chance in snapping them, as soon as I saw one settle, I would make to raise my camera, the dragonfly would see my movement and fly away. As I made to leave, a single red-veined darter settled on a reed right below where I was standing. I raised my camera and snapped.

Red-veined Darter

I joined Jools on a bench beside the large pond, and we watched a huge Emperor Dragonfly sweep over the surface of the pond, sweeping round a tree to our left and then swooping down again in the search of insects. We could have stayed there all day. In time we headed home via the village shop; I got some fresh rolls for lunch and then we went home to eat.

We spent the afternoon doing chores and then settling down with cat on lap to watch the football; Manchester Utd v Arsenal. By now you will know the result, 8-2, but it was heady stuff, even for a neutral. It probably felt different for Gooners though. As soon as the game finished, I popped the joint of beef in the oven, prepared the vegetables and made the Yorkshire Pudding.

Red Underwing Moth, Catocala nupta

Yum.

And so to the big day itself: Bank Holiday Monday. More chores, no football, lots of photographic stuff, chores in and around the garden, making 12 bottles of elderberry wine, of the beginning of the process anyway. We went for a walk along the lane at the end of the road on the hunt for more butterflies. It was too windy and cool really. We went to see the pigs in the woods, marvelled at the size of the sows, but there were no piglets anymore; now sausages and chops we guessed.

And there was the mice.

And the sparrow.

Since the passing of Little Girl, we have allowed the cats to come and go through the house even at night. There has been some minor issues, but nothing serious. Anyway, in the early hours of Monday morning Molly woke us up with a curious meow. Its her ‘I’ve caught something for you and want you to see how clever I am and for you to tell me’ meow. It’s amazing that an owner can read so much into a simple meow. But, even in a deep sleep we know what that meow means. I jump up and see the mouse, and imagine my surprise when it made a run for it. I managed to grab it’s tail and take it to the back door and deposit it in the hedge, still alive and complete with the right amount of legs and ears.

Back to bed and just as I’m about to fall back asleep, her comes Mulder wanting attention and/or food. Yes, yes Mulder, nice cat. I take him to the kitchen and give him a bowl of kibbles and close the door between the kitchen and living room and close the window through which Mulder and Molly will only now use to enter and leave the house. I was not taking into account the limbo abilities of said cats, as when Jools went downstairs at six, Mulder was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for more food.

And Scully was staring at the cooker. I mean really staring, not blinking, her cat senses all tingling. Another ‘present’ had escaped the jaws of a cat and was now sheltering. After our walk Scully was staring at the rack of records. And then she began to pull the records out in order to get to the mouse. We removed the rest of the records, and the shelving but there was no mouse.

And then the mouse made a dash for it, under the other record rack on the other side of the room. Thanks to evolution it’s tail was sticking out from the shelves and using a finger and my opposable thumb I pulled the mouse out and took that mouse to the hedge too.

I sat down to watch some Futurama on TV, and soon got the feeling I was being watched. I looked round and saw a mouse under the fire. It’s screwed in and no chance of getting to the mouse. However, it too made a dash for it, and pursued by Scully was cornered by the other, other record rack. And then it tried to get under the door to the kitchen. Quicker than Scully I reach down and make a grab for the mouse. And I get it, and it does not bite me. That too is taken to the hedge for another chance at life.

Between this there was the sparrow. Mulder brought in a feathery gift, a ‘dead’ sparrow. It lay between his paws, on its back feet pointing to the sky. Or ceiling. I grab it’s feet before the feeding begins. And it started to chirp and flap. I dropped it in surprise and ended up chasing the sparrow round the living room closely followed by Mulder and Scully.

Oh, what fun.

I make another grab for the sparrow under the rocking chair, and once again beat the cats to it. I take it to the front door and let it go. It does manage to fly away, and make it to a bush hopefully out of any cat’s view.

Hot stuff

We were sitting on the patio later, drinking coffee when I spot movement out of the corner of my eye; another more stupid mouse was making a break for it sauntering from the hedge one side of my garden to the other. Taking all the time in the world. I go over, pick it up and place it in the other hedge as Scully comes wandering up.

1 comment:

forkboy said...

As something of a Gooner it wasn't actually difficult to watch. It had, weirdly, become kind of funny. Clearly not funny for those playing, or those dyed in the wool fans, but for someone like me who takes the sport so much less seriously I was able to enjoy it for what it was: Crazy.

While our cats do not have the lovely right of outdoor access, they do enjoy bringing us 'presents' at all hours of the night. A cat nip filled felt mouse... a hair scrunchy from the daughter's room.... a milk jug cap ring.... and like yours there is a very special meow which announces the gifting of said presents.

Truth be told I'd rather sleep through the night...