Sunday 7 August 2011

Sunday 7th August 2011

After the drama and lack of sleep of the previous night, we laid in bed until nearly eight just listening to the outside world, and occasionally stroking Molly, who seems to be getting used to being an indoor cat once more.

The BBC said that today we would have unbroken sunshine, and so I left for the open day at Dover Coastguard with no coat and thought that the walk to the station from the car park would be pleasant. It was, but there were some very black clouds bubbling up.

Dover Castle from Upper Road

The coastguard station is along the clifftop road, just as it dips past the National Trust's place, and is only a five minute drive away. I parked in the field opposite, only to be told that to attend the 'free' event a parking fee of £3 would have to be paid. I had no change, as neither did they.

SAR

I walked along the road a bit, and was treated to wonderful views over the A2 to the castle beyond. It really is the finest view of the castle, especially when the sun shines.

Up the single track road to the station, more fine views, this time over the harbour and to Shakespeare beyond.

The black clouds were now heading our way, quickly, and so I grabbed a few shots before discovering that a helicopter was inbound to practice a cliff rescue. I took shelter next to the building and changed lenses and waited.

The helicopter came and hovered a few hundred yards away, it lowered two men, then a stretcher; and after a while winched one man back up, then the stretcher and the final guy together. all this time, the rain arrived and it was driven hard by a strong wind. But being in the lea of the building meant i stayed dry-ish, and I got my shots.

All there was left to do was to look round the building itself, culminating with a look down into the main control room. I ended up giving a talk on windfarms to an electrical engineering professor as the London array got mention and I said casually I worked on Thanet. Must learn to keep my mouth shut.

Back outside to look round the displays, I meet a couple of fiends, both photographers before I walk back to the car and a quick drive home in time for lunch. I quickly slice two huge tomatoes, and a couple of mozzarellas, drizzle some olive oil, crack open a bottle of home brew beer and a cider for Jools,and lunch was ready.

And that is today, really; as this afternoon i watched the Charity, sorry Community Shield. The football season bean this weekend with the Football League starting things off this week before we the Premier League big boys join in next week. Yes, because Norwich are indeed Premier League now; I checked next weekend's fixtures just to be sure. And we are there, playing Wigan at three on Saturday.
This is the beginning of 21 months of almost continuous football; even a footy lover like me admits this is way too much. After this season ends, we have the European Championship which dovetails into the beginning of next season and the Olympic tournament too.

Phew.

1 comment:

forkboy said...

Your lunch sounds devine. I really should drop by...

;-)