Wednesday 3 August 2011

Wednesday 3rd August 2011

Tuesday, I printed so ‘missing cat’ posters; laminated them and once Jools had left to visit her friend, I went for a walk and put them up at various points around the neighbourhood. Before Jools left, we discussed the situation, and although it was possible Molly could come home any time, I accepted she was probably dead and we would almost certainly never know.

As I walked back home, the drizzle turned to more sustained rain, which matched my mood.

I sat down at the computer to process some photographs, and heard a meow.

That was Molly’s attention seeking meow I decided. And it was in the house.

I stood at the foot of the stairs and called her name. Nothing. I called again and there was another, quitter meow. Once against in the house.

I walked up the stairs and called again, there was a simper from the spare bedroom. I got on my hands and knees and looked under the bed; nothing. I turned my head and looked under the wardrobe, and there was Molly. All wide-eyed and full of panic.

Meow.

I got up, went downstairs, grabbed a bowl of food and another of fresh water, took them up for her. She would not come from her alternative hiding place, the bedside table, so I pushed her food under and she ate quickly.
I went outside, closed the door and went to call Jools to let her know the good news.

I went back up, open the door, and she shoots out like a thing possessed. I follow in her wake down the stairs, out the kitchen just to see her bolt down the garden and out of site. She did not pause, break stride or look back.

And that is that. Molly is alive by very spooked, and very nervous about even coming inside. We have not seen or heard from her since, maybe this evening will bring another, less fraught meeting. But she is, at least, alive.

1 comment:

forkboy said...

Damn if that's not weird.

I've owned 16-cats over the years and never experienced anything like that.

I have noted that some of the ferals seem to go through this trust/don't trust Mark thing, but it certainly isn't the same thing you're describing.

Here's to hoping she pulls it together and comes back home to stay.