Friday 31 August 2012

Friday 31st August 2012

And so the final day of August rolls round.

Last night I watched some of the Paralympic coverage on C4; a bit hit and miss with little coherency to be honest, but it did end with GB vs Germany in the wheelchair basketball. There is no doubt of the courage and strength of the athletes, although that may sound condescending; it isn’t. To see people hobbling, of in wheelchairs getting to the side of the pool before the start of the race, and then trying with all their might to win. Nothing less than was seen at the Olympics, and if anything this was for more moving.

All yesterday the wind did blow and the rain did fall. Thunder and lightning crashed around. It is still summer. But felt like autumn. To emphasise that point, last night was decidedly chilly. I closed the windows around the house and got the thicker duvet out of the wardrobe. It was needed.

And so a time for reflection: my first blog on this site was four years ago next month. In fact that first post detailed events from the end of August. It doesn’t seem that long ago, does it? How different those posts were; reporting about the wedding and visiting glamorous places like Tuscany, Hull, Grimsby, Lerwick and Kazakhstan. Looking back and reading those posts from the first year, I see how unhappy I was with work. I hated working for Gardline; their inability to be able to organise anything drove me mad. I left them at the beginning of 2009. Had I have stayed with them, we would be tens of thousands of pounds better off. It is easy to think like that, and it is true. But then again I was so unhappy, could I really have stayed there?

In the end, we have to live with our choices and decisions and not ponder the ‘what ifs’ of life. We just have to get on with things. Once thing is for sure, I am happy with my life now, with the choices I made. Being home most nights.

No comments: