Friday 24 August 2012

Friday 24th August 2012

So, I wake up Thursday morning, feeling like I thick head after a night on the pop. It wasn’t a hangover, I realised I was having trouble breathing, my nose was blocked. And then I sneezed.

Five minutes later I stopped sneezing, and even as a grumpy in the morning person, I realised that I had a cold coming. Once downstairs I had another sneezing fit. And another.

Sigh.

Deal at Sainsbury

Now, I hope that I don’t come over as a moaner, and for the most part I just detail the details of our life and that is all. Sometimes smattered with the latest news and sports if I thought it is of interest. One thing I have not mentioned through this year has been my bad back. Its hard to explain, as it comes and goes, but at times I bend over with the pain and have to sit down. Most of the time it is just there in the background. Anyway, so on Wednesday I was talking to a guy at work who also has a bad back and after some tests he has been told he has an enlarged kidney. So, I wanted to get my bad back checked out, but of course you can’t actually get an appoint to see the doctor on the day you are ill, oh no, you have to plan ahead to be ill. So, I will go on Tuesday morning and get it checked out.

GWUK #438 Bleak House, Broadstairs, Kent

Anyway, what this means is that I stayed at home to work in case I could get an appointment, so, Jools went to work and I stayed home and was generally ill. Oh I was ill. At least the cold/flu did take my mind off my back which was something, I suppose. But, I did plod on my tasks and in that way the day passed. At half three I met Jools outside her factory, and then drove to the station so I could head to Broadstairs for the afternoon. Now, given the choice I would not have gone and just laid in bed. But, one of our clients thought that their and our employees would benefit from a social gathering and so reduce the ‘us and them’ mentality. So, they hired out Bleak House, yes that Bleak House, in Broadstairs; the owners cater for the corporate market, and provided us with a BBQ and a bar and fine views over Viking Bay.

It Comes in litres

So, I waited on platform 1 of Dover Priory waiting for the train to Ramsgate; now it takes me some 20 minutes to drive to Ramsgate in the morning, so the fact the train takes something close to three quarters of an hour to complete the trip is a surprise. Then a 20 minute wait for the train to take me the single stop to Broadstairs and then a walk down the High Street to Bleak House.

Bleak House was owned by Dickens, and he is supposed to have written David Copperfield there; but it was not named Bleak House at the time, and that name was given to it in the early 20th century. For many years it was a private house, but has been bought, apparently, by a retiring East End gangster as a legitimate business. This may not be true, but the walls have some ‘interesting’ artwork. Artwork should be in quotation marks too, btw.

Bleak House, Broadstairs

Anyway, I was 90 minutes late, but arrived in time for the food to be served and I had enough time to get a beer from the bar. And that really is it. I ate BBQ, drank beer. And at seven I grabbed a lift with a friend and he dropped me off at Ramsgate station with 10 minutes before it departed. I sat and watched the countryside roll by, and a young couple flirting. It was quite funny to hear, they talked about their family and the books they both loved. It was a shame to get off the train at Martin Mill and leave them to their flirting.

Back home, had some cheese and biscuits with Jools, and some whisky to wash it down with, in an attempt to be able to sleep. And, it worked. I woke up this morning after eight hours sleep and being able to breath and swallow. So, whisky kills flu, coffee kills whisky-induced headache so I could do a day’s work.

No comments: