Tuesday 21 August 2012

Tuesday 21st August 2012

And like that, Monday was gone.

Just like I dreamt of last week, instead of either travelling up north on a crowded and cramped train, I was driving my usual commute to Ramsgate, getting in, firing up the laptop and making the first pot of coffee of the day. It may not be perfect, but it does mean that I am back home with Jools by half four, and drinking coffee with Jools on the patio by five.

I had intended to start up the fitness program again, but two nights of dreadful sleep meant that I was fit for nothing other than drink coffee, listen to the radio and lay in bed listening to the football on the radio. Yes, the season has begun and now we are Sky Sports-less, an evening game means either listening to the game through the TV, or going old school and listening on the transistor radio on MW. Really old school with the signal fading in and out, reminds me of listening to European games on the old Radio 2 back in the 70s with my Dad. If it saves us £30 a month then so be it. Last night it was Everton v Man Utd, and usually that would have had me on the sofa watching every moment. As it was I was happy enough with the radio.

This is the beginning of the long slope towards the weekend, and it’s a bank holiday weekend too, which will probably mean three days of heavy rain. Or not. Anyway, a long weekend is always a cause for celebration.

Not much else to report, I was able to look out over the harbour whilst at work, see the clouds sweeping from the west. It may not sound much, but it does for me. I can set the clock by the arrival and departure of the ferry from the dock below. It arrives at about 11:15 and leaves dead on half one. Seeing it leave is great; the ropes are cast off, and it seems the large ferry isn’t moving. And then you see it inching forward, slowly accelerating, but soon enough it as walking pace and getting faster. And once it clears the dock it is almost at full speed, turning hard to port so to travel up the deep water channel out the harbour and into the Goodwin Sands.

Advance news: Trying to arrange visits for Open House London next month, but the website kept crashing due to volume of people. So, fingers crossed that we will be able to go to The Gherkin and/or Tower 42, Heron Tower, various churches, maybe Mansion House amongst others. Also next month we are heading twice to London for the Paralympics; can’t wait for that; and after that there is the heritage weekend in the middle of the month and I have a list of churches I would like to get inside to snap. We shall see. Oh and we have two weeks off work too. There is beer to brew, wine to make, Christmas Cake to bake and all the other stuff that be coming of Autumn means.

No comments: