Wednesday 22 August 2012

Wednesday 22nd August 2012

As you can see I am going for the record number of blog posts in a month, and this will mark the 4th anniversary of me starting this blog in the run up to the wedding of the century. That was the nuptials between me and Mrs Jelltex. How long ago that now seems; back then I was working on offshore survey boats and was off the coast of east Scotland. I got off the boat on the 25th in Peterhead. Since then I have been headhunted, journeyed to Kazakhstan, made redundant, worked for minimum wage and ended up in the wind industry. It’s been a rollercoaster ride for sure, but we’re still keeping our heads above water.

And today, despite being told a couple of months ago that the redundancies were now over, yet another round is about to begin with the sword of Damocles hanging over all our heads once more.

Sigh.

I have given up worrying to be honest, I mean if it happens, it does. We’ll cope with it then. It is tempting to jump before the push comes, if it does. What can we do? It seems to be the modern way, no job is for life now, and no job seems to be safe, even if the prospects for the company seems bright. We have three orders for major projects with several more very close to being signed, and yet costs have to be cut. So, who knows?

Last night was mostly spent in front of the computer at home trying to book places for the Open House London event next month. But for the third time their servers could not handle the volume of traffic and despite getting to the final stage of the process, we were unable to complete a booking. So, it seems they are going to reply on a ballot system for allocating places, which does seem a fairer way. Maybe.

On the way home last night, I called in at Waitrose for a loaf of bread; and in addition I bought two steak and ale pies for dinner, three different cheeses and two Hungarian paprika sausages to use instead of chorizo. So, the loaf of bread came to £27 with the additional items. Such is life. I cooked the pies along with roast potatoes and steamed vegetables. And very nice it was too, washed down with a couple of glasses of vin rouge.

No comments: