Monday 5 August 2013

Monday 5th July 2013

I guess that Sunday could best be described as a very low profile kind of day. In the world of cats, Bowie has threatened and scared ur three resident moggies off, to the extent they don’t much come into the house. Mulder does, but then nothing fazes him. Molly on the other had had not been seen for three days, and Jools said she wanted to stay around the house in case he came back.

Painted Lady  Vanessa cardui

After breakfast, I put on my walking shoes and headed out to see what could be seen in our neighbourhood. My main aim was butterflies, as now summer has kicked in there has been a mass hatching and the air is full of them. So, along the lane in the glade, there were dozens of Painted Ladies, Large Whites, Peacocks, Small and Essex Skippers: so I went around trying to get shots. I got two fine shots of the Painted Ladies, and a half good one of a peacock, so thought I could stop by and get some more on the way home.

Painted Lady  Vanessa cardui

Down the lane to the spot of last weekend’s ‘accident’ and all mud has now been replaced by dust, and no chance of falling down. From here I saw a combine harvester working away, so I set off hoping to get some shots. Sure enough, Made my way up the other side of the valley, along the cycle path and to the huge field which stretched from there to the cliffs. A single harvester was making short work of the field of wheat, and after waiting for ten minutes waiting for it to come over the brow of a hill, I found the driver had taken a short cut and was back over the other side of the field.

Peacock  Inachis io

I waited for that row to be completed, and he turned back towards me, and so I got the head on shot I wanted with the sea in the background. I walked up to ‘butterfly alley’ to see what was about: Meadow Browns, Ringlets and more Large Whites, and a couple of Peacocks that allowed me to get close and so snap them.

Harvest time at St Margaret's I had been out for over two hours, and so passed on the chance to go to the cliffs and turned for home, only for me to be waylaid by a couple of walkers with whom I stuck up conversations with, thus further delaying my return home. I did make it at half twelve, and a quick lunch of olive bread with fig preserve washed down by a huge mug of tea quickly followed.

No sign of Molly by afternoon, and so Jools went out whilst I stayed on watch and did some chores around the house. She did turn up for dinner at five but was gone again. We made her welcome, stroked her, but clearly she does not want to share a house with Bowie. A thought we are beginning to share.

And so another weekend flies by and the working week beckons…..

No comments: