Thursday 8 August 2013

Thursday 8th August 2013

So, I decided that I feel little better having spent the last two days around the house with my feet up, I may as well go to work today. And so I did. Although it was tough getting up and running this morning. But, I dropped Jools off and then headed to Ramsgate.

I have drugs and can get up every hour for a walk round. And I suppose things are no worse.

From time to time, it is good to look back to see how far you’ve come, as it can seem that we haven’t travelled at all. I say this because one sunny afternoon four years ago, Norwich (yes, its about football) played their first game for forty nine years in the 3rd division. The day has long passed into legend as being the very lowest point of our journey from our relegation in 2005 from the Prem to our return two years ago. Losing 7-1 to Colchester was as loud a wake up call as a club gets, and credit to them, they acted. I do wonder what would have happened had we lost just 3-1; would change have happened? It’s a moot point I know, but on such things tides and fortunes change. Here’s what I wrote at the time:

Before the game:

Tomorrow, no tonight, sees the beginning of the new football season; with each fan full of renewed hope for the year ahead. For most of us, that hope will quickly fade, as money will be what counts and which players that money can buy.

What this does mean for sure, is this is the beginning of 22 months of almost continuous football, with next summer being the world cup in South Africa with the new season beginning almost as that finishes.

So, draw a deep breath and cease firing, we're going in.

As for my team, we begin a season in the third tier of the league ladder for the first time in 50 years; some seem to think we're favourites to go up. I wish I were as confidant of that.

Anyway, Norwich has 12 new players and what should be a straightforward season, and maybe one of many victories and a promotion party to look forward to.

Here's hoping.

And after:

And so the football season began, and like all fans I was full of unbridled enthusiasm. At least for 40 minutes.

We were driving back from Dover station, I turned on the radio to hear the scores, near half time as it was. Only to find that my team, the 5 year ago premiership team, Norwich City, and found out they were 5-0 down to the not so mighty Colchester United.

It got worse!

It finished 7-1; at least we scored. So the 12 players we brought in over the summer either all got stage fright or were all rubbish.

It's going to be a long, long season.

The rest, as they say, is history. Paul Lambert joined six days later as manager, and by Christmas we were top of the league. Promoted on a hot sunny day in April in Charlton. Promoted again at Fratton Park a year later whilst I was on holiday in Germany, and for the last two seasons, survival in the Premier League. Last year things were not so peachy as a 12th finish seems to suggest: with two games to go, I was certain we would go down, but two wins and instead of relegation mid-table security. It is a funny old game, eh Greavsie?

As for this season: anything could happen, and probably will. I’m hoping for something like 12th and maybe ten points clear of the relegation zone.

No comments: