Friday 2 August 2013

Friday August 2nd 2013

Thursday evening, we decided the gooseberries in our garden were ready for picking, and so I said i would do the prickly task of picking them. I put on my slippers, got a bowl and by the time i had cleared half the bush I thought there was enough for a crumble for the two of us.

I am not sure what happened next, but as I stepped fro the garden onto the patio, I did not have ful balance, and I felt myself falling. Faling sideways onto the rows of raspberry canes, over the rockery and onto the ground. Laying there, waiting for my legs to report in, it became clear that I had caught the same leg I hurt on Sunday whith the mud incident. Ow, that smarts.

I managed to get up, hobble to the chair on the patio and raise my leg. First thoughts were whether there was some underlying reason for the two fals and if it was signs of something more serious. I don't think so. But the swelling on my left leg that had gone down, came back with avengance by bedtime, and I could hardly walk.

Friday, my only options were to either walk on it, or lay in bed with the leg raised on a tower of pillows. Sitting at the table or a desk for work was out of the questions. i took drugs and waited for something to happen. At times my leg has felt like an over-inflated balloon, sometimes near normal. I guess it is a combination of the heat and the two falls that have done it.

What I do know is that I have suffered with slight swelling this summer, especially when i sit for long periods. Which is most work days if I'm honest. So, I have to get up every hour to walk for five minutes. What does do it good is regular exercise, which means that working out on the cross trainer is more iportant than ever, and I have done three sessions this week. Last night after about nine minutes I could feel the pressure in my foot dropping and something akin to normality returning.

I guess it shows that none of us are getting younger, and we have to take our health ever more seriously. So, less booze and more exercise for me from now on I think. Lets see how a fairly active weekend makes things....

On the upside, the gooseberry crumble was wonderful.....

No comments: