Saturday 31 August 2013

Saturday 31st August 2013

Friday. Working from home. But before I could work from home, I had to drop Jools off at the factorry, then head to Ramsgate to pick up my laptop and print some papers out so i could number crunch during the day. and then drive back so to be in when the guy came to change the windscreen.

That done, I could make a second cup of coffee and get working. I thought i would let Bowie out of his cage, and put him on the lead, but he can now get out of the harness in 30 seconds. I had tied him to the bannister, so he went upstairs under our bed, got out and slept on the windowsill. Despite being a prisoner, when he gets free he just stays around the house!

The day passed, the screen was replaced, and so it was time to collect Jools and bring the curtain down on another working week. Jools and I made Burek frying the large parcels, and washing them down with icce cod beer. Nice.

Saturday.

Last day of the month.

So, lets begin the day with a trip to Tesco1 Yay! Saying that, it was painless, except for the bill at the end. BUt, the worst task of the day over, we sit down to coffee and fresh croissants and ponder what to do with the day. Outside it was cloudy, so it was chores. Which if you remember, chores for me means laying on the sofa listening to the radio. Hey, it doesn't listen to itself....

Adonis Blue  Lysandra bellargus

We had warmed up burek for lunch, then decided to head out as the clouds had cleared and the wind dropped. I got it into my head I wanted to see an Adonis Blue, and a contact of mine had seen one on the cliffs by the Monument, so we headed there, parked up and I walked back down the cliff, eyes searching left and right for flashes of blue.

There were dozens of others out walking, but most not paying attention to the wildlife that was under their feet. Several times a subject would be scared off by the pounding of other walker's feet, and I heard them talking of football or some other subject, which seemed to me to indicate they were walking just for the sake of walking. Maybe I was wrong.

Adonis Blue  Lysandra bellargus

When I got to Kingsdown, I got talking to two other photographers about my persuit of the adonis and how I had not seen one all year. And as I was talking, I saw blue about 20m away. But it was such a vibrant blue, i said, I think there's one there.

And indeed there was. A single male, sunning himself in the late afternoon warmth. He stayed in the area for what seemed like 20 minutes, I got four or five series of shots of him. And how blue was he? I will never mistake another blue for an Adonis!

I walked back to Jools waiting by the car, and then home. But on arriving home, we could hear a harvester going nearby. So, after the football ended, we set off to get some shots. Norwich won their first game, 1-0 against Southamption to take us to 8th for the time being. Something else to put a spring into my stride.

Abstract Harvest

As the harvester was at the other end of the field, we sat down in the long grass and waiting for it to turn and head back to us. It was glorious, sitting in the warm evening sunshine, with diving swallows overhead catching their supper. We got our shots, and headed back for dinner, and reflected on another one of them good days.

Harvest Concentration

2 comments:

nztony said...

Walking for the sake of walking! I say sir, whatever will they do next! Scoundrels I say, how dare people walk for the sake of walking, who would do such a thing.

jelltex said...

Well, photographing whilst walking is fine, and being considerate should just be good manners....