Friday 2 May 2014

Friday 2nd May 2014

Tuesday.

As nice as spring is, sunlight streaming through east facing bedroom windows at ungodly hours is par for the course. And even more so at northern latitudes like Denmark as the sun rises even earlier. And the birds in the vicinity of the hotel made it very clear by singing outside my room window that they were very happy about that indeed. And so I lay in the golden dawn annoyed that: a, I could not sleep more than 5 hours and B, that maybe those birds should go and sing about stuff maybe in those trees over the hill and far away.

I could not quite remember when breakfast began, so hoping it was half six, I was waiting outside the rurally decorated dining room to find there was no food, but a load of activity in the kitchen. I go to wait outside for half an hour, as I had meetings all day, it might be the last chance of fresh air I get for some hours. I stand and watch swallows diving and generally flying around apparently having great fun. On occasion they would fly within a few feet of me, and then climb high into the trees above. What I did not know was that I was also an early breakfast for a mosquito or seven, but the itching had yet to begin…

I get breakfast, then go back to my room and pack. May as well be early for the meeting, so I set off following the sat nav which means I miss most of the countryside, but arrive safely and stress-free.

I won’t bore you with the details of the day, except to say that at times it dragged on for hours and hours. But at about quarter past three, the customer had to leave and I was free to leave, head to another hotel, this time closer to our wonderful new head offices, where I could take off the penguin suit and relax. On the way to my room, I pick up a bottle of Coke and a small tube of Pringles. I manage to get the computer logged onto the hotel’s network, find some music to kick back to, and chill.

New Offices

Despite it being 17 degrees today, it would appear that come Friday there is the chance of snow here, which will be a shock to the swallows and all the plants all decked out already in their spring finery.

I head down to the bar and order soup followed by a burger accompanied by a large beer without looking at the menu. It was good.

Back up to my room in time to watch the CL semi-final, and Real pummel Bayern 4-0. Maybe hiring Pep wasn’t such a grand idea after all. Now for some sleep….

No comments: