Thursday 1 May 2014

Thursday 1st May 2014

Sunday.

Last day before the exciting world of travel reopens to me. So, I had better make the most of it by spending the morning drinking coffee, watching MOTD and then hitting the cross trainer.

Coffee is always good. I mean there really is nothing like it in the morning, not even tea, doubly so when Jools makes it.

MOTD is the horror show I feared it would be, as Norwich were the featured game, as St Ryan of Giggs took charge of the game for Man Yoo and the team produced the results. Sigh.

I then hot the cross trainer. I already said that, anyway, as the hours seemed to be slipping through my fingers, I went upstairs to pump some lard, which went well. I listened to some cool music and got fit(ter).

Then a shower.

Then lunch.

The set out as the sun had unexpectedly come out and I was fretting about losing the light. I drop Jools off at the home so she could see Nan, and I headed to Folkestone to look for a white version of the Early Purple Orchid.

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

Nan is over 99 and a half years old, and given to bouts of acting old. I mean being grumpy, miserable and generally not much fun to be on the end of her tongue and point of view. I had an argument with her last weekend, and so I am now loath to go again as basically, its not all that much fun. Jools being family, really can’t say no and has to go. So, I bail on my duty for the week and head to Orchid heaven. Although, Jools says Nan was in a better mood and all too aware of how she comes across at times. As I say she is 99 going on a 100, so she is entitled to be a bit ticked off from time to time.

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

Anyway, I find myself chasing the light as I near the down, as dark clouds sweep over the Channel I see the sun disappearing from view; could I get there in time? In a word, no. As I park the last of the sunlight fades from view, and the down is shrouded in shadow. I was here, as I said, to look for the white variant of the Early Purple, sadly, it would appear that someone had been to the site cutting the ver. Alba out and taking the blooms home. Well, stupidity knows no bounds I guess. I did get some shots of some unusual and/or deep purple variants. Worth going for those alone?

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

I head back to River to pick up Jools, and then back home for more coffee and for me to listen to the radio as there was a big game on. As there always is. Liverpool v Chelsea. And it was a big game. And interesting. To a point. But dull-as-ditchwater Chelsea score two breakaway goals to win and put a severe dent in Liverpool’s championship dreams.

Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula

I cooked roast lamb for dinner, along with Yorkshire puddings and steamed vegetables and the best part of a bottle of el plonko.

In the evening, I pack, and seems to be slipping through my fingers. As normal. On a Sunday when I’m away the next day.

Monday.

When is a flight run by British Airways and when is is NOT run by British Airways? I ask this as my reservation was with BA, I checked in online, checked in again at the airport, got my baggage label, went to drop my case at the BA desk only to be told its not their flight anymore.

I look at my ticket, its for a flight with the BA designation. Hmmmm. I go to desk 15, check in again, get assigned another seat, get issued with another ticket and baggage label. When its time to board, it the same aircraft, staffed by a familiar stewardess, who asked me if I was OK.

Anyway, we all boarded, the engines started, we had our briefing, we taxied off and soon were soaring through the low clouds to the blue skies high above. If you go high enough there is always sun shining. I settle down to read a magazine, and the flight passes. As I read the last page, we are on final approach heading over the Danish coast with all land visible bathed in glorious spring sunshine. Once we landed and the door was opened, the warm air flooded in. It was even warmer than in England.

Once in the terminal, I get the keys to my hire car, which the staff had parked so close to the next car I could not open the door wide enough to get in, so I have to climb in the passenger side and then climb over the centre consol. And in with the key, turn on and set the air con to minimum. And we’re off.

I head to the office, as I had things to discuss with my boss and colleague who have had the last two weeks off. So, into the sunshine.

The fields and countryside have come alive since I was last here, everything is busy catching up with the calendar, and everywhere there is a riot of colour. Such is my luck that I have to spend the rest of the day in the office in meetings and discussions.

Montra Niles Kro hotel, Sabro, Arhus, Denmark

At five, I have to head out and find my hotel, a new one as I have a meeting nearby the next morning. Thanks to the sat nav I have my directions and we’re off. I find the place on the edge of a main road in a wooded clearing. My reservation is good. So I dump my stuff and go to have a walk only to find nothing but the road to walk along.

I go back inside to my room to check on the TV channels. I check the four channels again and choose an old episodes of some crime show. I take my brain off the hook. The hotel is a n old family place, not used to us Brits staying, so I have to have the menu read out to me. I have asparagus to start and lamb with root vegetables to follow. Its OK, but not spectacular. I head to my room after coffee to prepare for the day ahead. How sensible….

No comments: