Saturday 17 May 2014

Saturday 17th May 2014

Thursday.

I woke up at seven and lay in bed as the sunshine poured in through a gap in the curtains. I lay there just taking in the sounds of the morning rush hour as the traffic thundered past on the outer ring road of Arhus. At least I was heading home later in the day, and after the travelling and long days I had been putting in, I treated myself to a ten minute stretch before getting on with the business of packing, checking out and breakfast.

Of course, as nice as laying in bed is, it does mean tackling the worst of the rush hour, and there is a rush hour in Arhus, and it is far worse than you would imagine. At least for those already in the city it isn't as bad as the jams for those travelling in from the country, as some of those queues can go on for miles and miles.

Anyway, I make it in to work at eight or so, and get down to work. I have plenty to do, and also have some informal meetings, as being in the offices means that people can't hide behind 'busy' icons on the communicator. The morning passes, and as the afternoon begins, Anni and I have a meeting regarding a four week road trip across Denmark and Germany so we can complete the audit plan before the beginning of August. This is going to be tiring.... we'll see how that one shapes up in the coming weeks.

At half one I pack up and head to the car. Friday being a bank holiday in Denmark means people already seem to be winding down. I have eight more hours to do that day and then more work tomorrow. But hey, you know, our bank holiday will come next weekend.

After turning off the motorway for the last 40KM to the airport, I spied a sign to Jelling. Now, Jelling is the location where two of the most famous runestones left over from the Viking period can be found, and being just a few miles off my route, I think I could spare half an hour there before getting to the airport. I head down twisty country lanes to jelling, park in a supermarket carpark, and can see a huge mound just beyond.

Viking Runestones, Jelling, Varde Kommune, Denmark

The stones are in the graveyard of the local church, and as soon as I walk from behind the grass mound I can see the glass boxes the stones are in. I make my way over and see that both are pretty weathered, with the design difficult to see. But I snap them anyway, but due to the position of the sun fail to snap the most famous design on the larger stone. Will have to go back!

Viking Runestones, Jelling, Varde Kommune, Denmark

I visit the church and find it a delight, although some of the shots fail to come out due to it being so dark inside.

Viking Runestones, Jelling, Varde Kommune, Denmark

I look at my watch: time to go! Back to the car and following the sat nav, i go down very twisty and narrow country lanes, through tiny farming communities, and all the while I recognise nothing. Time is getting on.

In time the roads get wider and wider, meaning I am getting somewhere near civilisation! Until I come out at a large roundabout about 5 miles from the airport, back on roads I know!

I park the car and go to check in. And am presented with a ticket to the business lounge, just as well as I have an important mail to send. I also get to have free beer and snacks, so make sure the work is done before I have a glass of ale.

And just like that, it is time to board the flight and head home. Europe was under cloudless skies, and so I was watching the patchwork of fields roll by below, as I felt my eyelids get heavy....

And wake up as we are circling over Essex, the sunshine failing to breakthrough a heavy haze on the land below, but I can still make out Shoebreyness and Southend. We head over the Medway and along over south London, turning over Crystal Palace and then another turn over Battersea as we make our final approach over the River Thames at Westminster. The familiar sights of The City flash by as we get lower and lower, and then with a bump we are down, and back in blighty.

My luggage has been given a priority label, and so is waiting for me as I clear immigration and head to the DLR station. I have half an hour to get to Stratford, more than enough time. Anyway, we rattle through east London, and I watch the people as they come and go, as ever a melting pot of colour and culture that makes London so special.

I have ten minutes on the platform to wait, Eurostars go hurtling past en route to France. My train arrives and I find that it is emptier than usual, and I get a seat by a window and slump down. We emerge into bright sunlight at Dagenham, and then zoom through the Essex marshes, alongside the A13 now almost empty. Under the river into Kent and nearly home.

Jools is waiting at the station, and as we head up Jubilee Way, I look over the Channel and can see the cliffs of France clear as anything,looking like they are just a few miles away, not the 23 they are in reality. Anyway, I am home. Put the kettle on.

No comments: