Monday 5 May 2014

Monday 5th May 2014

Sunday.

Star Wars Day.

I remember saying that when I was still at school, I think I heard it from that all round nice bloke, DLT on the wireless. We have coffee and croissants for breakfast, then I settle down to watch MOTD, or the exciting bits, or the bits that have an impact on City. Sunderland win 1-0 at the Theatre of Broken Dreams, a week after we were thumped there 4-0. This now means we require a miracle. Or several of them to survive. First one is to win at Chelsea, then Sunderland lose their two remain games, and we win the last game against the Arse.

Not.

Going.

To.

Happen.

We have some problems with the house, leaks and the such, so Mike is due to come round to look at them and suggest a plan of action, I head out for a walk. Not that I don't care, its clear that stuff has to be done. Expensive stuff needs to be done, roof repairs. Chimney repairs. Porch repairs. Car port replacement. And so on and on.

Sunday morning walk

I head out into the countryside, and am at once waylaid by someone wanting to talk about orchids. A guy walks past, their dogs fight, the first person walks off, and the new guys wants to talk cameras. Its not always me talking to strangers. Honest.

Sunday morning walk

He follows me as I head to the butterfly glade, and he walks off with two greyhounds chasing him and his setter. All exciting stuff, I think you'll agree. There were no butterflies in the glade, but then there is still little food around so I wasn't surprised. Anyway, there was still butterfly alley the other side of the dip and over the fields. I tightened my belt and strode out.

Sunday morning walk

The local gamekeeper stopped me for a chat: did I want to know where there was a little of fox cubs? Sure. So, he tells me where he saw them yesterday, and when I neared the spot, I scoured the hedgerow, but saw nothing, but then I just had my macro lens, so it was a slim chance anyway.

Sunday morning walk

As I walk down the dip and up the other side, I am passed by one then another group of hikers. The first are striding out well, looking like they know what they are doing. The second is walking much slower, with one young man dawdling at the back. On the other side of the dip, I look back and see the second group heading out in the opposite direction that the first ook. Hope it all worked out well for them....

Sunday morning walk

Along the cycle path with the grand views down to Kingsdown, and then up over the fields to butterfly alley. Oilseed rape is growing on both sides, so it is like being on a causeway in a yellow sea. I end up talking to a couple from whitfield for nearly half an hour about wildlife, orchids and Kent in general. But, must press on....

Sunday morning walk

I see only a handful of butterflies, and only manage to snap a female Orange Tip and a Large white, slim pickings for me. So, I head back, despite to stunning views available at the cliffs just another ten minute walk away.

I get home without without being stopped, and arrive home just before one, and rather hungry. So, we have lunch of Oeufs d'escosse, which were mighty fine, as was the pint of tea i downed.

The afternoon was taken up by more photo editing, listening to the football, as at four City were playing Chelsea. I was expecting a massacre, but in the end it finished 0-0, and thus ended Chelsea's tilt at the title, but also means were are almost certain to be relegated. Oh well, too little too late it seems.

I cook roast beef and all the trimmings, which we tuck into at seven, just as the early evening sunshine poured in through the front windows. Lovely. And tomorrow is a day off, so we stay up an extra half an hour, dirty stay outs that we are......

1 comment:

nztony said...

I'm working with a couple of UK Football experts this evening and I read your paragraph about your team coming 0 - 0 and almost certain to be relegated and they worked it out for me, that your team is Norwich City and have schooled me up on everything!