Sunday 11 May 2014

Sunday 11th May 2014 (part 2)

Saturday.

And the wind did blow. Just like the BBC said it would. It would have been nice if they would have been wrong. But we woke up to leaden skies that soon produced the steady rains that was due to fall for all of the morning. And once it stopped and the clouds cleared some, the wind would still blow.

Anyway, I took the opportunity to get a haircut first thing, and after Jools dropped me off and headed to Tesco to get the shopping. I found out that the guy I had made the batch of beer for had been sacked for being drunk whilst working, and now they have a chair spare and not enough cutters. Not my fault of course, but it shows the thin line between enjoying beer and having a problem.

I have to wait outside the shop in the driving rain for Jools to return. I pass the time by going to the veg shop and getting it from there rather than the supermarket. Jools returns within an hour, and so we go home, put the shopping away and soon are tucking into fresh croissants and a fresh pot of coffee. The rain hammered down more outside.

Golden Arrow Statesman at Martin Mill

I spend the rest of the morning in the usual way; radio and photo editing, and the morning passes, and the rain clouds part and some faint sunshine breaks through.

Golden Arrow Statesman at Martin Mill

In the afternoon we go into the garden to put up the canes for the raspberries. I say canes, these are willow branches, bartered with a friend for over the winter. We knock some into the ground, tie others as batons and it looks sturdy enough. Can't wait for raspberry season later in the year!

Golden Arrow Statesman at Martin Mill

At four i head out to Martin Mill to see Tangmere pass once again. I should have made more of an effort, but the wind was blowing over 20mph, and I could not be bothered to stand on a cold bridge down by the harbour. So I join about a dozen others. Soon she rounds the bend, smoking well. I snap away, switch to my other camera as she draws near, and then she is gone leaving a wonderful train of smoke and steam in her wake. Same again next week?

Golden Arrow Statesman at Martin Mill

We spend the evening watching a couple of films on Channel 4; The Day the Earth Stood Still and Man on a Ledge, and although they were not brilliant, the evening passed quickly and we enjoyed them. Should watch more films!

No comments: