Sunday 4 January 2015

Sunday 4th January 2015

All things come to an end, and so does the festive holibobs, and tomorrow I put my nose back on the gindstone and on Tuesday fly back out to Denmark.

But first, Saturday.

Saturday.

And verily, did the rain fall from the heavens, and all the land turned to mud. And we watched the rain through the windows, and the cats raised much caterwauling as they asked us to stop the rain so they could go out. We opened the door and put them out, and there was much pouting from the cats.

There really wasn't much we could do, so at half eight I went out to get a barnet mangle. If I did it now I would not have to do it again before next month, or that is the plan. I pulled up outside the shop in Cherrytree, the lights were on and there was already a customer in the chair getting his dose of abuse. I go in, take my seat and get some advance abuse, but then I give it back. Abuse? Yes, well it is all part of the service when you get a haircut, darkening his doorway well before opening time at nine. Its good natured, but for anyone visiting the shop for the first time it would be a shock.

Once I could see my ears once again, I paid the eight quid, got back in the car and drive back home for breakfast, along roads turned to river by the heavy rain.

I listened to the radio, played around on the computer, and got ready for the football to begin. This being one of the most exciting weekends of the football calendar, TA Cup 3rd round. But then they all are, aren't they, as Jools might say. And she would probably be right. However, it is exciting, with all the minows being involved. Would there be upsets and would Norwich make the 4th round. Yes and no as it turned out As Norwich were involved in one of the shocks of the day, losing 2-0 away to Preston with barely a whimper, having the grand total of zero shots on goal.

I switch the radio off and begin to cook dinner: steak and ale pie. Jools had gone to visit Nan, so she arrived home as I was about to dish up, still grinding my teeth and grumbling about the football. Just once in my life, it would be nice to see City in the FA Cup Final, I have been waiting since 1973, so I suppose another year won't hurt.

Steak and ale pie was good, we had lots of steamed veg with it. Lovely.

Not much else to do other than sit on front of the TV, but outside the sky had cleared after the rain stopped, and the nearly-full moon was shining brightly.

We did manage to book our summer holiday, a 15th century water mill beside the Tyne, thatched with heather, perfect for some walking and orchid hunting. Can't wait. Just have to get the work stuff out of the way first.....

No comments: